iPhone 4 sound quality

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ongaku

Sep 20, 2010
The problem i am having is on my iPhone 4 when i get on the phone with someone the sound and music quality is downgraded, all except for the phone (the person im speaking with). I never experienced this problem on the 3GS. in fact while still being on the phone with my girlfriend i put the headphones on while using her 3GS and went to iphod and listened to the same song that was on my iPhone. It sounded much louder and brighter, indeed on her 3GS the only thing that happened while we were on the phone is that all background apps volume was just lowered so that you can hear the person that you are speaking with. At that point i put the headphones of my iPhone4 back on and the music sounded lower, crunched, and like it was compressed to a 56kbs sound. This is something that is truly bothering me, especially since i am a sound engineer, i need to hear high quality sounds and music, and it even bother me more before i am on the phone with my girlfriend almost 24/7; and i don't want to sacrifice sound quality to be on the phone with her, because i never had to on the 3GS. I also tried swapping headhphones, since the ones i had were cheap, and there was no difference

If anyone is having this problem please let me know, also let me know how it can be fixed. Thank you for taking the time to read this and have a wonderful day!

- Kuran

Jun 28, 2010
Same problem here, I am seeking a fix.
Let me know if you figure it out. Irritates me when I try to be on phone/listen to music during long commutes.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I have to admit, I never knew you could talk to someone on the phone AND listen to music at the same time. That's a new one on me. But forgive me that I'm not helping to resolve your dilemma but I'm trying understand WHY anyone would want to do this? I can imagine Apple probably felt it necessary to decrease music quality at the expense of boosting call quality which would be perfectly understandable in my view. Remember, the iPhone 4 does have that new antenna design/configuration going for it so who knows if that has anything to do with the need to compress the background music. My thing is if you're going to talk on the phone that long, can't you just play ambient music from another source to keep you engaged?

Jun 28, 2010
I use it when my girlfriend and I go on long bike rides.
Hour+ rides are made easier with enjoyable music, and we like to stay connected via iPhones so we don't have to yell over traffic and other ambient noises.