iPhone 4 suddenly dropping calls

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by TJL7386, May 30, 2012.

1. TJL7386

TJL7386 Member
    Bronze

Have tried this on both the Edge and 3G networks and keep running into the same problems. Seems as when ever I am in my office building or my home my phone keeps dropping the call. I keep getting the call failed screen. I am running 5.1.1 with the new JB but this problem was happening before I recently updated as well.

My friend went to the Apple store here with his stock iPhone 4s with the same problem. They gave him a new SIM card. I would rather not have to go through the hastle of restoring to new and going into the Apple store for just a new SIM card. Is it possible it is just a ATT network issue in the area or is a new SIM card the best fix for this issue?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've had a problem with this on all of my AT&T iPhones. I don't think their network is very reliable in certain locations, but there are some troubleshooting steps:

1. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Networks Settings
    2. Call AT&T or go into a Corporate AT&T Store and ask for a replacement SIM. Make sure you specify that it's a micro SIM.
    3. If neither of those work, you could try a restore to factory settings.

3. TJL7386

TJL7386 Member
    Bronze

If I go into an AT&T store I need to restore back to new anyways because they will not issue a new SIM card to a JB phone correct?

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

When we lived in MI we had the hardest time making calls all over.
    Some few dropped calls in KY
    We moved again and now our voice stinks.
    but the Data is 4g LTE so I hope the new iPhones will do great
    Anyway I may have to get new SIMs too.

5. TJL7386

TJL7386 Member
    Bronze

In Michigan in general it hasn't been to bad for me. Pretty strong Edge network all over, 3g is a little spotty but up until the past month or so I haven't had it any worse then my friends with Verizon or Sprint.

I tried the reset network settings we will see if that works. If I call an AT&T store and just ask for a replacement SIM they will send one with no questions? If I get a new SIM do I lose all my contacts?

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold