iPhone 4 texting pictures

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tlyles

Sep 19, 2010
I was wondering if this is something with AT&T or the iPhones. I'm having troubles sending pictures via a text message. It takes forever and sometimes fails to send. My wife has. 3GS and it's like that on hers too. Didn't know if there was a setting that could be changed or if anyone had an idea how to fix this

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
On 3G it can take a little while to send them. Wifi is faster, but I've had this happen as well.
Unless it happens all of the time?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Tmoney438

Aug 7, 2010
Are you trying to send it in edge, 3G, or wifi? My guess is you are just in an area that doesn't have great service, you can get the speed test app for free and test your connection

Tlyles

Sep 19, 2010
Sorry didn't think to give you all the info. I have full service but it is on the edge network. This happens all the time even on 3G network. At home I have wifi and it still takes a long time to send. Phone is not jb and has the 4.2 update installed.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I pictures on the iPhone 4 are quite large. Were you given the option to reduce the picture size before sending?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
This is an AT&T thing.

Sending a picture (MMS) over Edge or bad 3G is quite touchy. Having Wi-Fi on doesn't affect it, as this is a communication to the cell tower only. If your signal to the cell tower is bad, it will take so long to try to get all of the message through that the iPhone might give up and say it couldn't send.

Unfortunately, there is little you can do besides badger AT&T to put up more 3G towers in your vicinity. Try the "Mark the Spot" app to report issues when they occur.

Ozzie5374

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Country South Australia
This is an AT&T thing.

Sending a picture (MMS) over Edge or bad 3G is quite touchy. Having Wi-Fi on doesn't affect it, as this is a communication to the cell tower only. If your signal to the cell tower is bad, it will take so long to try to get all of the message through that the iPhone might give up and say it couldn't send.

Unfortunately, there is little you can do besides badger AT&T to put up more 3G towers in your vicinity. Try the "Mark the Spot" app to report issues when they occur.
Yeh, I've had this same prob in Oz on the Optus 3G network. One night will fail to send even one MMS and then next day will send 4 in one go, even High Res pics. Figure they need to upgrade their service for heavy use times.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I find using the third party texting apps works much better. Try using textfree which is free and will give you a unique phone number. I have never had any issues sending photos utilizing that app. Matter of fact, I have texting turned off on my phone because I refuse to pay att&t $20 a month for something I get for free with a third party app.