iPhone 4 with iOS 6, how to migrate to new iPhone 4s with iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by MitzEclipse, Oct 18, 2012.

1. MitzEclipse

MitzEclipse New Member

Hi all,

I currently have an iPhone 4 with iOS 6. I am tired of Apple Maps and need Google Maps back. Therefore I'm thinking of buying an iPhone 4s with iOS 5 so I can get google maps back.

Is it as easy as backing up my iPhone 4 with iOS 6 to my Macbook Air then syncing my iPhone 4s? Would the iPhone 4s be forced to upgrade to iOS6? This is definitely something I don't want to happen!

Would my apps transfer OK based on the fact a lot of them were upgraded with iOS 6, i'm assuming there won't be an issue transferring those apps to iOS5?

Thanks in advance.

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

You can't restore an iOS 6 backup to an iOS 5 device, as far as I know. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3682 says no go on restoring a backup from a 5.1 device to 5.0 or 4.0, so it makes sense that they'd have the same restriction on 6.0 to 5.1.1

However, you can still install apps and stuff. And if the apps support iCloud, you will still have the same files/saves (like Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and certain games that save to iCloud like Infinity Blade 2, Eternal Warriors 2).

Certain apps might even be able to export your data through the iTunes sync, in the Apps tab under Documents.

If you're feeling really brave, you can also try to use iExplorer (oops, fixed the link) to browse the files on your device and save them to your computer. It presents all of the files contained in each app, and one of the folders in each app is called "Documents". That's usually where saved files are located (there are other folders, but these are things like graphics, sound, and langauge files that are installed by default). Couldn't hurt to try, if there are apps that you particularly want to transfer the data and you're out of any other options.

3. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Downgrading phones just to get Google Maps back seems extreme to me. Use Google Maps web app for now and be patient for the native Google app... Just my $.02...