iPhone 4 won't charge, nothing works?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by vholley83, Jan 13, 2012.

1. vholley83

vholley83 New Member

My iPhone charged just fine yesterday morning. However, when I attempted to plug it into the wall charger last night, it wouldn't charge. I tried 3 different cords and nothing worked. I even plugged my husbands iPhone 4 into the wall charger and when I seen it worked, I tried to plug mine in and nothing happened. When I let the phone completely die, I then tried to plug it in again and it showed it was charging. When the apple came on and the phone started up, I thought I was good. Once my lock screen showed up, I noticed that it showed that my battery was not charging. Phone was at 4% then died again. Same thing happens when I try the whole process over again. Any suggestions please?! My phone is not jail broken.
  2. showguy

showguy Member

You gave no details in regard to what model phone and how old it is. If the phone is new and under warrante it sounds like a trip to the Apple store is in order. You may have a battery or mother board issue. You could also try a "hard restart" but that would require you having enough juice to do that.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius

No warning message or anything? How old is the phone & which model? May be a battery issue, obviously, and things need to be replaced.
  5. vholley83

vholley83 New Member

Sorry. IPhone 4 16gb is refurbished from AT&T. Had it for under 1 year. It has latest update and showed no issues prior to this. I tried hard restart but it still does the same thing. Guess I'll take it apple since its still under warranty. :( :mad:
  6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius

I had that happen to me couple nights ago. Then my phone went crazy for couple minutes before turning itself off and on again. Only then started charging. Try resetting your network settings if you already tried a hard reset.
  7. vholley83

vholley83 New Member

How weird is this? So I left it plugged into wall charger despite it showing that it wasn't charging. I shut off phone and just left it. Then I went to turn it on and it is at 33% and not 4% like it was earlier. Soooo for some reason the phone doesn't charge while on but it will when you shut it completely down. Something is obvious wrong. So I'm still going to apple.
  8. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius

I might be wrong here but to me it's a software issue and not hardware.
    Hopefully whatever it is they fix it for you. I'm gonna wait it out and see if it happens again.
  9. vholley83

vholley83 New Member

Well iTunes is not recognizing it when I plug it into pc, so I need to figure out what going on. Might as well take it to apple. If all else fails, guess I'll have to just tough it out or revert back to 3G. :oops:
  10. shamar

shamar New Member

I am having the same problem. January 20 my iphone 3g would not recharge. it is staying at 5%. I tried charging it in the car, and a regular plug in in the house and at work. I don't know what else to do, It has been a trusted little item in my life until now.
    I also noticed when I went on the internet to find an answer that there were several folks having the same problem for the same dates. one whole week in January. they each had different iphones. eg 4g, 3g etc. hmmmm it sound kinda fishy to me... what do you think?
  11. brdmsd

brdmsd Member

I had a similar problem with an IPhone 3GS. It turned out to be a defective plug-in slot on the phone( where the charger plugs into the phone). I took it to the local Apple Store and they replaced the phone even though it was out of warranty.
  12. annieyay

annieyay New Member

Hey guys! Any luck? I'm having the exact same problem at the moment! :(
  13. lilfoot

lilfoot New Member

wow dude im having the sam issue for the last week I woould really appreciate some tips or ways to help me out. I tryed a bunch of diffrent chargers.. by the way I have iphone 4g white by verizon
  14. vholley83

vholley83 New Member

Sorry. Wish I could help but I ended up taking my iPhone to Apple. They replaced my phone.
  15. Jmh12

Jmh12 New Member

I'm having a similar issue. Three days ago my phone was reaching low battery so I went to charge it at it wouldn't accept a charge from my charger. I tried several other ones and nothing happened. When it finally died I tried using other peoples chargers and nothing worked. When I took my iPhone 4 to the Verizon store they said that they couldn't do anything because it's an apple product. I went down to the apple store and they took one look at my phone and asked if it was in water. I said that my phone never ever touched water. They said that my charging port is corroded. My warranty was up on August 26 (go figure). So they offered me a replacement phone for $150. I figured that there was possibly a way that I could fix it all by myself for cheaper..I just wasn't sure how. Any help?
  16. Jmh12

Jmh12 New Member

Is the part where you plug your charger into your phone like green in color?
  17. SDell88

SDell88 New Member

Hey all, I had to join this community to comment as well.. I have the Iphone 4s White - Verizon.. Ive been having this issue for a while.. My phone would be so weird.. I would plug it in, and it wouldn't charge. replug and uplug multiple times before it took a charge.. I thought it was my cord but apparently not because it was doing the same with my husbands cord. Today it was acting really weird. I plugged it in, not charging.. 7%.. Died ( died earlier at 20% ) Plugged in apple came on.. 7%. .went to text, died.. plugged in, apple came on again.. now my phone is completely dead and will not charge at all.. guess im going to apple.. this seems to be a similar problem :confused:
  18. Docd

Docd Contributor

Could try cleaning the contact with a little rubbing Alcohol. If you can take it apart you can also use an Eraser on the contact but be gentle Erasing the contacts and don't rub to hard or to much.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Rwhit9

Rwhit9 New Member

I got my iphone(I have an iphone 4 white) in September and my charger had been working fine. well last night at around 10:00pm (CST) it wouldn't charge. ive tried 4 different cords and the only one that workes was my aunts charger for her iphone 4S.
    am I still under warranty?
  20. Docd

Docd Contributor

You should be the iPhone and everything in the box come with a year warranty.
  21. natalie_jamison01

natalie_jamison01 New Member

My first iPhone was like that and they replaced it. No questions asked when they saw that it wasn't charging.