iPhone 4 won't regonize drivers on Windows 7

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
Hey,

I have a Windows 7 PC with an iPhone 4. I was on a Windows forum, and they gave me multiple steps to follow, and none worked. Under Control Panel then Device Manager, and then under other devices. It shows up as a yellow explanation mark. It seems like the iPhone isn't recognizing. I tried uninstalling, and then reinstalling iTunes with no luck. I also stopped Apple Mobile Device, but it won't start up once it stopped.

When I connect my iPhone to my PC, I get no Auto Play menu, or telling me it found new hardware. It won't even charge when connected to the PC.

It works fine. Just not on my PC. The Windows forum ran out of options. Could anyone help me, please?

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
I've actually had a problem similar to this on my mother's computer. Although it may sound weird, they recommended I unplug the power source from the back of her PC and take the CMOS battery out. After waiting a few minutes they recommended putting it in there. Being that it was the only thing left to try, I just gave it a shot and it worked.

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
I've actually had a problem similar to this on my mother's computer. Although it may sound weird, they recommended I unplug the power source from the back of her PC and take the CMOS battery out. After waiting a few minutes they recommended putting it in there. Being that it was the only thing left to try, I just gave it a shot and it worked.

Thank you for your reply.

1. I don't open the side of my PC.

2. Would the CMOS battery be inside of the PC?

3. Are there any other alternatives then going inside of the PC case?

Thank you again.

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
Thank you for your reply.

1. I don't open the side of my PC.

2. Would the CMOS battery be inside of the PC?

3. Are there any other alternatives then going inside of the PC case?

Thank you again.
1. Do you mean know how or you just don't feel comfortable opening the side of the PC?
2. Yep, the CMOS battery is inside of the PC.
3. You could just try unplugging the computer and leaving it sit for a few minutes. I'm unsure of this working like that but I'd give it a try. Wouldn't hurt anything.

Heading to lunch in case of any delayed replies.

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
1. Do you mean know how or you just don't feel comfortable opening the side of the PC?
2. Yep, the CMOS battery is inside of the PC.
3. You could just try unplugging the computer and leaving it sit for a few minutes. I'm unsure of this working like that but I'd give it a try. Wouldn't hurt anything.

Heading to lunch in case of any delayed replies.

I don't feel comfortable. About 10 years ago, I took my cover off, and it burned out my CPU. Every since then I don't attempt to open up the side. I'll try unplugging it.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I doubt opening the your PC's enclosure would have burnt out the CPU.

If you do want attempt something like this I would recommend you use an anti-static wrist strap.

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
Agreed with above. No damage should be done to your computer by simply opening up the case. You may want to dust out your computer while you have it opened. Make sure you shut it down and unplug it before opening it though.

If you don't have an anti-static wrist strap, ground yourself by holding the computer case while taking the CMOS battery out. Try to be careful and steady.

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
I doubt opening the your PC's enclosure would have burnt out the CPU.

If you do want attempt something like this I would recommend you use an anti-static wrist strap.
If you act stupid like me then leave the case open where dust can get in.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1567

That's the guide I am working on. I stopped the service like I said, but it won't start. Below is the message I get.

The Apple Mobile Device Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

Yes, I tried unplugging my computer, but it didn't work.

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
If you act stupid like me then leave the case open where dust can get in.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1567

That's the guide I am working on. I stopped the service like I said, but it won't start. Below is the message I get.

The Apple Mobile Device Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

Yes, I tried unplugging my computer, but it didn't work.
I would just chance unplugging and taking the CMOS out. That way it automatically reconfigures once the machine is started back up. I'm not 100% sure of how to explain the technical side of removing the CMOS and how it relates to the driver issue, but it solved my mother's problem after I've tried absolutely everything. It kept giving the "Device not recognized" or something like that after it tried installing the driver.

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
I prefer not to go into my PC. I have absoultely no clue what I'm doing. I don't have a screw driver to take the side off with either. I don't like messing around inside of a computer. I'm sorry about that. I thought there was an easier way around this.

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
Nah, trust me it's less simple than you think. Do this, google your computer model and brand and see if there's a guide on replacing it in your computer. Or better yet, the CMOS battery looks the same in each computer so if you find a youtube video, you can follow everything perfectly.

The chances of you messing anything up is very slim if you're just gently trying to take that CMOS battery out. It's a great experience and very satisfying and relieving once done. However, I do understand if you just prefer to leave it alone all together. Other than that, I would only assume this can be fixed by reformatting your machine. There's possibilities that other solutions rely out there, but it appears that you've tried majority of them that works.

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
I read your whole message. I honestly prefer to leave the battery alone. What other solutions are there? I don't want to reformat because all of my data. I don't mind reformatting. Also, my Windows 7 is an upgrade version, not a fresh install. I need to have Vista first then Windows 7. I would do it if it was a fresh install, and if I didn't have 500 gigs of music.

Nah, trust me it's less simple than you think. Do this, google your computer model and brand and see if there's a guide on replacing it in your computer. Or better yet, the CMOS battery looks the same in each computer so if you find a youtube video, you can follow everything perfectly.

The chances of you messing anything up is very slim if you're just gently trying to take that CMOS battery out. It's a great experience and very satisfying and relieving once done. However, I do understand if you just prefer to leave it alone all together. Other than that, I would only assume this can be fixed by reformatting your machine. There's possibilities that other solutions rely out there, but it appears that you've tried majority of them that works.

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
Ah, lol. Seems like everyone always have almost 1TB of music these days except for me, lol.

I don't know any other options besides that. It seems more just like a driver thing. Have you tried plugging it into another port on the computer? Maybe do some deep searching to see if you can find these driver files and delete them manually instead of using the device manager. (tried that too but that didn't work for me)

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
Ah, lol. Seems like everyone always have almost 1TB of music these days except for me, lol.

I don't know any other options besides that. It seems more just like a driver thing. Have you tried plugging it into another port on the computer? Maybe do some deep searching to see if you can find these driver files and delete them manually instead of using the device manager. (tried that too but that didn't work for me)

Yes, I tried all of my ports. I even was following the tutorial above, but I stopped Apple Mobile Device, and it won't start now.

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
I always reinstall iTunes. Yes, it gets the services working, but it doesn't fix the driver issue. I don't know what else to do?

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
Not exactly sure man. I'm out of options myself. Maybe set up a virtual machine and see if you can pass the device to the virtual machine and get it working that way. That's going to be very inconvenient though.

Dec 17, 2008
PA
If it recently worked, like within the last two months use windows restore feature to go back in time.

Try every USB port you have.

You can use your windows 7 disk and do a repair, or you can reinstall. It won't wipe out your data. You can also use windows backup to save everything to a USB HD.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
It never worked.

I have tried all USB ports.

I don't have a USB HD. Would the reinstall work? Could I just over ride the C: partition by doing an Anytime Upgrade?

If it recently worked, like within the last two months use windows restore feature to go back in time.

Try every USB port you have.

You can use your windows 7 disk and do a repair, or you can reinstall. It won't wipe out your data. You can also use windows backup to save everything to a USB HD.

Dec 17, 2008
PA
It never worked.

I have tried all USB ports.

I don't have a USB HD. Would the reinstall work? Could I just over ride the C: partition by doing an Anytime Upgrade?
Make sure you don't re partition. A reinstall or upgrade will either leave your folders where they are or rename them "Windows old". As long as you leave your partitions as they are (no resizing) your stuff will be there.

I know you said hardware is out but the easiest way would be to add a HD and install to that. If you want hardware help I'll be glad to guide you through it. On a scale of 1 to 10 adding a HD is a 2(very easy)