iPhone 4 won't regonize drivers on Windows 7

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
Make sure you don't re partition. A reinstall or upgrade will either leave your folders where they are or rename them "Windows old". As long as you leave your partitions as they are (no resizing) your stuff will be there.

I know you said hardware is out but the easiest way would be to add a HD and install to that. If you want hardware help I'll be glad to guide you through it. On a scale of 1 to 10 adding a HD is a 2(very easy)

I have to look for my disc. Would it prompt me for the serial number? Would the upgrade fix the driver issue? I haven't done this in a while. When I did do it, I would KillDisk which is DOS to either erase all 35 passes, or the zeros track. That's how I did it. I would kill everything where it's a blank screen with a flashing white cursor. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Yes it will ask for your windows key #

I'm not convinced you have a driver issue... But a reinstall and a new install of iTunes will rule out all software problems, including drivers.

From there it becomes a hardware problem, specifically your USB ports. Do other peripherals test ok on the USB port your using?

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
I'm not convinced you have a driver issue... But a reinstall and a new install of iTunes will rule out all software problems, including drivers.

From there it becomes a hardware problem, specifically your USB ports. Do other peripherals test ok on the USB port your using?

It will ask for your windows key #

I have a USB keyboard and it works fine.

I made a post almost the same at Mac-forums. They said since I tried all of the troubleshooting tutorials take it into an Apple store to do a factory reset. He had friends that the iPhone works on their old computers, but doesn't work with their new Win 7. He said that Apple does a factory reset that us peons can't do. My guess is that they do it in their way on their systems. He had friends that tried every route I took, and nothing worked. I didn't go to Mac Rumors because they are jerks. They said I'm a cheapskate because I won't pay for apps. I found Mac-forums by google, and it's decent.

Dec 17, 2008
PA
So is there something wrong with the phone? Or is not being recognized in windows the only indication of a problem? Try plugging it into another computer and see what it does if it's recognized it's your PC ...if it's not it's the phone.

Left click on "Start", right click on "Computer", left click on "Properties", left click on "Device Manager", look for any yellow exclamation marks, right click on them and left click on "Uninstall". Shut off your computer, count to 10 and then turn your computer. Once back to the Windows desktop plug in your iPhone. Windows should find the phone and reinstall the drivers.

I have done this a few times and it worked.

Good Luck.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know if this will help but I just want to make sure you have all of the programs needed for an Apple device to be recognized by your computer. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features.

In addition to iTunes you should see:

Apple Application Support
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour

Even if you do have the above items, uninstall them all, including iTunes and THEN reinstall iTunes. This should technically do the trick, if I remember correctly, as I had the same problems in the past with my computer not recognizing my iPhone.