iPhone 4S case & iPhone 4 case?

Kayland

Oct 17, 2011
My mother in law went to Carphone warehouse for me to get me a hard case for my 4s but they told her it wouldn't fit because of the buttons have changed! Is anyone using a hard iPhone 4 case for their 4S? If so is it a perfect fit or have u got any problems?

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
The Verizon iPhone 4 & 4S are the same. The AT&T iPhone 4 is different. The vibrate switch is off slightly between the 2.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It's likely a case by case basis. I've used pre-iphone 4S cases on a Verizon iPhone 4S without issue. As mentioned, the vibrate switch is slightly moved, but this won't impact all cases.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
The difference is between the AT&T 4 & the Verizon 4 & all the 4Ss'. All the 4Ss' are the same & same as the Verizon 4. The AT&T is the odd one out. Some case designers have made the vibrate switch opening larger to accommodate both.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I used my pre-Verizon iPhone 4 case on my 4S without issue but it was a soft case.

The button movement is not much so most cases will still work. But you have to try and see.

I have since purchased a newer case for my 4S and it works equally well with my 4 and 4S. Most newer cases work with both.

Michael

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I can attest to the AT&T phone is slightly different. The silent switch is about 1/16" lower toward the volume buttons. I just confirmed this on a co workers phone about 2 hours ago.

When I get mine in, I'll set them on top each other and take a pic.....unless someone else beats me to it

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I can attest to the AT&T phone is slightly different. The silent switch is about 1/16" lower toward the volume buttons. I just confirmed this on a co workers phone about 2 hours ago.

When I get mine in, I'll set them on top each other and take a pic.....unless someone else beats me to it

I believe it's the other way around. The Verizon 4 & the 4S is lower than the AT&T 4.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I believe it's the other way around. The Verizon 4 & the 4S is lower than the AT&T 4.
Did you compare the two? I did, and that's how it is. The guy that works with me that has the 4s has AT&T. When I see him, I'll get another coworker to take a pic and text to me, then I'll post it up. K

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Did you compare the two? I did, and that's how it is. The guy that works with me that has the 4s has AT&T. When I see him, I'll get another coworker to take a pic and text to me, then I'll post it up. K

The silent switch on the GSM 4 is indeed higher than on the 4S and CDMA 4. Not by much, but it could be an issue for some pre-Verizon iPhone 4 cases. Volume buttons are slightly lower on the 4S/CDMA 4 too--but those are not likely to be an issue.

Michael

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
THANK YOU for posting that pic. Can't wait to show it to the AT&T rep who argued with me that there is NO difference, which most of us knew there was, between the 4 and 4s. Any iPhone4 case will fit. Not really.
Thanks again.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
The silent switch on the GSM 4 is indeed higher than on the 4S and CDMA 4. Not by much, but it could be an issue for some pre-Verizon iPhone 4 cases. Volume buttons are slightly lower on the 4S/CDMA 4 too--but those are not likely to be an issue.

Michael
I don't know about the CDMA - gsm stuff, but I posted a pic above and both phones are AT&T phones and the 4s switch is lower. I can post a pic of a verizon phone and a 4 to show the difference on them.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
THANK YOU for posting that pic. Can't wait to show it to the AT&T rep who argued with me that there is NO difference, which most of us knew there was, between the 4 and 4s. Any iPhone4 case will fit. Not really.
Thanks again.
yes, I don't think my lifeproof is gonna work

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
That sucks :(

Can anyone confirm or deny that an Otterbox Defender for AT&T's iPhone4 is compatible with the 4S?
I'll let you know when mine comes in. Everyone is gonna get annoyed at me if I keep borrowing phones to check stuff out lol