iPhone 4S Crazy Wi-Fi usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by iNS0MNiAC, Dec 7, 2011.

1. iNS0MNiAC

iNS0MNiAC New Member

Hey guys, I recently switched from BlackBerry 9800 Torch to iPhone 4S and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it. My only beef with the phone is the horrible battery life but that'll be another thread.

The reason I'm posting is because I'm trying to figure out why my wifi usage is through the roof. I recently bought an app Data Usage Pro to keep an eye on my data usage as my data plan allows 1GB/month. On average my data usage is about 400-600mb/month, so no biggie there but my wifi is around 3-4gb/month! Now obviously I don't get charged for wifi so I'm not too concerned, but where the heck is all this wifi usage coming from? I use my phone at home just as much as I do when I'm out. I rarely browse websites, the apps I'm downloaded are not too large and I have iCloud Backup turned off.

2. Kylezert

Kylezert New Member

Are you downloading apps through your wifi? That is a big user of data. Or do you use your phone to stream netflix?

3. iNS0MNiAC

iNS0MNiAC New Member

well as I mentioned I have downloaded some apps through WiFi but the biggest app I have is 331mb. Most of my apps are under 5-20mb. I don't use netflix I almost never watch youtube and I still have yet to use my phone as a hotspot.

4. Jarred

Jarred Contributor
    Bronze

Remember every time you connect to power whilst connected to WFIF it'll automatically WIFI sync if you have that option checked. Mine also seems to sync if the phone is connected to WIFI and I just plain start up iTunes.

5. iNS0MNiAC

iNS0MNiAC New Member

I thought it might have been that too but that option is off on all my computers. After looking at more details of the data usage it appears 85% of it is receiving wifi and 15% sending. It's really got me scratching my head

6. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

WiFi usage should be free and unlimited. Your 1GB/month limit should be for data over the carrier's cellular network.

7. iNS0MNiAC

iNS0MNiAC New Member

Uh ya. That's what I said in my first post. I just curious to know why the WiFi usage is so high.

8. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Updating apps, downloading apps, streaming. Could be s lot of things

9. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

maybe it's a rogue app reporting back to the mother ship. kinda like carrierIQ. i really don't think so. but hey it's been done before so you never know.