iPhone 4S for T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by ameliapage, Nov 25, 2012.

1. ameliapage

ameliapage New Member

I have kind of a dumb question. I really want an iPhone 4s for Christmas, but my service provider is T-Mobile. My mom says if I can figure out a way to use an iPhone on the data plan we have now, then she'll buy one for me (I also have to pay for half of the phone itself). I'm just wondering if I can buy a phone off of Craigslist or eBay and get it unlocked and then use it on T-Mobile, or if that won't work? I've been researching a lot but I can't figure out an exact answer. Factory unlocked phones seem to be way more expensive, and on Craigslist I see a lot of offers for phone unlocking for like $25. Could I just buy an iPhone for Verizon or AT&T and get it unlocked?
    I know that T-Mobile has a deal that if you bring in an unlocked iPhone without a contract they will support it, but the data plan for that deal is way too expensive, so I'm hoping I can do what I asked about above.
    Sorry if this was rambly and weird, but I'm kind of new to the technological world.
    Thank you so much!

2. rmfnla

rmfnla Member
    Bronze

"I know that T-Mobile has a deal that if you bring in an unlocked iPhone without a contract they will support it, but the data plan for that deal is way too expensive...."

That's your answer.

I use AT&T so I am not an expert on T-Mobile but I suspect they are the same in that they both require each smartphone to have it's own data plan.

FWIW, unlocked 4s phones go for about $300 on ebay...

3. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

I believe if you have a current T Mobile data plan and you are able to place the T Mobile SIMM card in the unlocked iPhone then your current data plan will stay in place. AT&T allows you to unlock a phone after you've had it for 2 years. The current T Mobile SIMM card fits in a 3G iPhone

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Check ebay and Craigslist. A 4S should be around $300, like rmfnla said. It doesn't need to be unlocked; just make sure it's an AT&T phone if it isn't unlocked. You can buy an factory unlock for about $5 on eBay. They take about 6 hours to go through.

5. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

I don't think the 4S is eligible for a factory unlock yet. It needs to be 2 years old from the activation date.

6. ameliapage

ameliapage New Member

Well this has given me a lot to think about. Thank you for your info guys!

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's easier and faster to bypass AT&T, in my experience. You can buy a factory unlock on ebay for around $5. Also, if you do go through AT&T, the eligibility date is whenever the phone is out of contract, which may be much sooner than two years. For example, you could upgrade with partial subsidy after one year and then be eligible for unlocking the one that it's replacing.