iPhone 4S from Good Battery to Bad

Alaric

Oct 25, 2011
I'm reading all the battery issues 4s owners have; however, my situation is a bit different. My battery life started off good and is now bad.

I got my iPhone 4S on launch day and the battery life was good for the first two weeks. A couple days ago, my battery life (even on standby) reduced significantly. It seems like one day, I woke up, took the charger off, and my battery decided to drain very fast (1% every 5 minutes on standby).

There have been no changes to any apps or settings. I've even done a clean restore to a new phone and still no way of getting my previous battery experience back.

I've also done a full recycle of the battery and am still experiencing this.

I always leave my phone on standby while at work (for 9 hours). For the first 2 weeks, my battery would be down to 90% by the end of the work day (all apps off). Now, my battery is down to 50% by the end of the work day (all apps off).

Any ideas on this?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Good news is that it's a known issue -- Apple Confirms iOS 5 Battery Issues, Software Fix Coming

Bad news is that the fix is weeks away.

Last edited:

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Interestingly this just started with mine today. No changes whatsoever with the phone or my place of businesss. Phone off the charger at 0530. Down to 68% by 0830 and blazingly hot. Has never happened since purchase.

Rebooted, recharged and after taking it off the charger it dropped 40% in two hours and hot again. Then, suddenly, poof. It cools off and battery drain returns to normal.

Very weird.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Lol mine was the same way!
For the last few weeks my battery has been fine. About 6 hours of usage.
Then all of a sudden, 2 nights ago I fully charged my phone before bed. Woke up and it had 2 hours usage, 8 hours stand by and it was down to 67%.

Last night I charged over night. Woke up, looked at my phone and it was still at 100% so I unplugged it. No joke, I open up my mail and check it for a minute and I'm down to 92%! Checked my usage and it was 1 min usage and 2 min stand by

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Oh oh, hot batteries never a good sign. It's an obvious bet then on batteries on fire news flashes will start making headlines. Hope the fix is released soon. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Interestingly this just started with mine today. No changes whatsoever with the phone or my place of businesss. Phone off the charger at 0530. Down to 68% by 0830 and blazingly hot. Has never happened since purchase.

Rebooted, recharged and after taking it off the charger it dropped 40% in two hours and hot again. Then, suddenly, poof. It cools off and battery drain returns to normal.

Very weird.
My V1 used to get hot years ago. I called Apple and complained and they told me to take it in for a new one.

Update: went to sleep again with my battery at 90% and 44 min usage. Woke up and it was at 41% with 5:40 usage. Something is definitely wrong now when it wasn't before. I did have my alarm set but that shouldn't effect anything

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The fix isn't that far away, Apple released iOS 5.0.1 yesterday to developers. This update is currently beta but apparently addresses the battery problems iPhone 4S users are experiencing.