iPhone 4S stopped working..help

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by DrG, Feb 17, 2013.

1. DrG

DrG Member
    Bronze

I'm hoping that you can help me...I gave my 4S to my daughter a couple of months ago, and now, the phone just stopped working. She said that she didn't do anything to the phone, but woke up in the AM and it was not working...the phone does not power on. Doesn't respond to a hard reset and setting it to dfu does not work either. I think I updated to the 6 before I gave it to her. When plugged in, it would not show batter status either. It's just like a brick :(

Thanks for your help and guidance.

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Chances are the phone suffered water damage. Some times kids lie for fear of repercussions. Have the Apple store genius check it out. Good luck.

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Looking inside the headphone port & charging plug will give you a clue. Input see pink, it's had water in it.

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try blowing out the charging port with some compressed air. It might just have a dead battery and dusty port that won't take a charge.

5. DrG

DrG Member
    Bronze

No visible pink stuff, but I guess I have to take it to see a genius. ?.so sad

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try the compressed air first.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Europa, compressed air is not likely to help if there's no visible dirt. Chances are that's not the problem. When a charger is connected, the metal to metal contact should be enough to scrape any dust.

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Compressed air is t going to hurt either ;)

Sent using iCafe app

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

True unless you have to go out and buy a can of it :D most people don't have that laying around lol

10. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

DrG
    It sounds like a battery issue..? Have you tried charging iPhone on wall charger for at least 12 hours...?
    Or faulty USB cable... Try another....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

What self-respecting computer owner doesn't have a can of compressed air lying around?! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Very true :D but the OP never mentioned he was a computer owner ;-)

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Liberated, thanks for the education about how the charging port works. However, I've seen it help with this type of problem before. It's one of the troubleshooting steps here and it's worth a try before taking it to an Apple Store. I always try to rule everything out before recommending that someone take it in. I wasn't trying to imply that it was likely the problem or that it would definitely fix it. Some people jump to recommend taking it in to Apple, but I'll recommend things that have worked for others even if there is only a 0.1% chance it will work, especially if it's simple - and compressed air is simple.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen threads where people recommended that the OP take a phone in for repair and it turned out that the problem was something really simple, like a bad USB cable as Fiji stated above. I try not to make assumptions like they probably already thought of that or they didn't mention that the port was really dusty so thereforee there is no possible way the port is dirty.

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I can appreciate your point Europa, on the same token, I've fixed more screens and other issues on iPhones that I can remember and never once cleaning a charging port worked for me. What has worked is changing a battery, and changing the charging port. I never said that you said anything either, I am just giving my advise (I didn't even suggest it was the best advise). I think the dust on the charging port is a no go, now what you said about the USB cable it's more likely and I should have thought of that before sending the OP running to Apple. Apple will be the ultimate choice in all probability :D

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay, but my post was for the OP and I have seen compressed air work for other people.

16. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I call a truce my fellow RN :D aren't you glad we are not debating balloon pump settings on a post PCI unstable patient ? :D

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

But I'm willing to bet...

18. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1361130718.101749.jpg :D

19. Dex Pt'Chang

Dex Pt'Chang Member
    Bronze

Pity one cant get a hard reset for the kid

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Well, we don't know the daughter did anything wrong.