iPhone 4S Upgrade Question (AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by iigreatoneii, Oct 8, 2011.

1. iigreatoneii

iigreatoneii Member
    Bronze

This is my first time upgrading like this, so I am not familiar with how it works.

My dad was eligible for an upgrade, but he needed a new phone and decided to get an iPhone for the first time so he pre-ordered the iPhone 4S. My mom was also eligible for an upgrade, so I purchased an iPhone 4S under her number and planned on putting the sim card from my iPhone 4 in her iPhone when it arrives. I'm not eligible for an iPhone upgrade until February 2012 under my phone number.

My question is, how does this work? Is there a way to activate the iPhone 4S under my number without AT&T taking my upgrade eligibilty in February 2012 away from me? I plan on upgrading again next year if the iPhone is a redesign with a bigger screen and/or 4G speeds. So I need to make sure an upgrade exists for that occasion.

She doesn't have to pay for an iPhone data plan under her number does she? Do I even have to activate it if I just insert my current sim card in her iPhone? Do I need to call AT&T before I activate it so her current phone's IMEI # remains that of her current phone? If I activate it under her number will AT&T remove the data plan from her number if she calls and tells them that I am using that phone and she is using her current Motorola?

If someone can clarify this procedure for me I'd greatly appreciate it. I've searched various places and seem to find mixed answers... :unsure:

2. z28black98

z28black98 Member
    Bronze

call ATT customer service before you do. Its called an upg swap and its pretty common. They do it all the time. If you don't feel comfortable with that, go into ATT store and they can help you out as well. There is also a faq on here or on macrumors.com forum that explains it pretty well. I have the link saved at home, but I am currently at work. In theory you can sync your current phone in iTunes, once you get the 4S, sign up for icloud and should be able to swap SIM cards out and restore via icloud.

3. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I'm not sure you'll need to activate it if you put your already activated sim card in it.