iPhone 4S - Verizon, SprinT, AT&T...

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by AeroCare, Dec 15, 2011.

1. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

So I have a Verizon 4S. Looking for a reason to either sell it or keep it. It's hard to figure out because it's the first Apple CDMA/GSM model so it's a mystery.

Help me out :

Since the phone 4S is the same basically for all three carriers, after jailbreak will I be able to use it on Sprint also? I know people flash their Android phones from one carrier to the other but I figure they're flashing ESN which I don't need to do, my 4S is paid off and legal.

Is there a technical reason or is it a carrier policy deal?

2. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

BTW I was going to post the same question on the Android forum requesting info on anyone who has done it with their Android phones but I noticed that many of the people here also have Android phones and also post over there so maybe one of those could help here?

3. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

you cannot use a verizon iPhone on sprint not even a JB iPhone will work. but you might be able to use a JB iPhone from sprint on cricket cause they use the same technology.

4. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

If it's about the same technology then I would be able to do it. All three, Verizon and Sprint and Cricket, are CDMA carriers.

5. owieh

owieh Contributor
    Bronze

Why not ask them to unlock it?

6. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

It's not locked.

7. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

The CDMA carriers will not port over ESNs from outside of their network. If you had a friend on the inside, technically he could drop it into their network as a new device from Apple. He'd lose his job the minute it was discovered though.

End result, the device will only work on it's carrier of origin or potentially on international GSM networks.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think it will work. It's locked to Verizon and unlike T-Mobile, Sprint doesn't use a SIM card (which allows people to switch phones by switching the card). So even if the hackers did make a CDMA unlock, you won't be able to just pop a Sprint SIM card into it to get it working on that carrier. I think you'd have to take it into Sprint to have it switched over to their network and even if they could do it, they wouldn't be allowed to do it since they could tell that it is a Verizon-locked phone.

Not saying it's not possible; I just don't see it happening anytime soon. We don't even have a GSM unlock for the AT&T iPhone yet, and that's far easier by comparison.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it's a Verizon iPhone, it's carrier-locked to Verizon. Getting it working on a GSM network (with an 02 SIM, for example, would be much easier). I'm not talking about roaming on O2 with the SIM that's already in the phone (which is how it's designed to work stock), I'm talking about an actual O2 prepaid SIM so you don't have to pay Verizon roaming charges when you get home.

10. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I know how sim cards on GSM carriers work, thanks. It's not locked to Verizon, I can use all my international sims fine in it.

I suppose then that's why Android phones have to be flashed. Thanks for the answers.

11. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Flashed? All CDMA phones are locked to their carrier of origin regardless of OS.

12. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I don't understand. Are you trying to say something different from what I said and you quoted or are you just repeating the same thing?

13. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I don't understand this statement. Flashed in what way?

14. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Let's start from the beginning, what do you understand by flashed?

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

But as far as the CDMA chip goes, it is locked to Verizon. It won't work with any other CDMA carriers. I did hear that Verizon and/or Sprint might unlock the GSM chip so you can use international GSM SIMs. AT&T won't do that. Did Verizon unlock it for you so it would work with those international GSM SIMs?

16. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Yep, that's why I said previously that it's unlocked. That's the only thing they can unlock, the GSM Sim tray for use with international carriers.

17. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Some kind of software/firmware update/change.

So CDMA Android phones can be flashed to work on a competitors CDMA network?

18. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Yes they can. Now I understand why you posted what you posted previously.

19. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Wow. Ok, my statements about CDMA only apply to Canada when we had CDMA carriers. Thought the policies were North American standards.

20. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

No problem.