iPhone 4S vs. Galaxy Nexus?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by richie021501, Oct 19, 2011.

1. richie021501

richie021501 New Member

Ok so sorry if this doesn't belong here, and I also apologize to others who are probably gonna be upset about seeing an Android vs iPhone thread. But I'm using an original motorola droid right now and am due for a verizon upgrade in early December. I'm trying to choose between these 2 phones and am having a hard time deciding which one I want.

I'm leaning towards the 4S because even though I love Android, I've been using it from the beginning (got the G1 the day it came out, the first Android phone). I'm just sick of the same thing and feel like its time for a change. However, after seeing the galaxy nexus with ice cream sandwhich, I have a feeling that maybe it will feel like a whole new experience. I'm not sure

I just like the fact that the iPhone always seems to run better and smoother then Android phones. Hell, the iPhone 4 seems to run smoother then most of these dual core Android phones. They all start out running good and then seem to slow down after all for w/e reason. That never seems to be a problem with the iPhone. Of course, maybe this wont be a problem with the galaxy nexus. I also like how its easy to use and its app store is of better quality then Androids.

Idk, im having a tough decision here. I'll definitely use the Galaxy Nexus before making my decision but I would like your insights on this matter, seeing that w/e phone I buy I'm gonna most likely be locked into for 2 years so I really wanna make the right decision.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Most here will tell you to pick up the iPhone 4S.

One advantage to the Galaxy Nexus, if it's important to you, would be the massive size of the display.

Ice Cream sandwhich also borrows heavily from both webOS and iOS, so that's a good thing.

IMHO, the apps advantage still weighs heavily in Apple's favor. Too many apps in the Android Market look like they got hit with the ugly stick.

That being said, I'm anxious to give the Nexus Galaxy a try -- for me, I think the phone might be too big. I'll reserve my final opinion until I've had a chance to use it on a day to day basis.

3. richie021501

richie021501 New Member

Thanks for the reply

yes I really do like the bigger display...seems like phone size is starting to creep into tablet territory lol. But I'm only 5'2" and my hands aren't big so the 3.5" iPhone screen is sufficient enough. I'm also interested to see how good that 1280 x 720 (think thats right?) display looks. So far even these 960 x 540 display Android phones don't seem to look as good as the iPhones display....to me anyway. Im interested to see how this display looks

But yes I agree with the app store thing. All of Apples apps, they might not all be great apps, but pretty much every one of them have this sort of professional feel to them. Android has some goods apps but a lot of them also seem like they were made by 3rd graders, they just don't feel or look professional.

Looks like I'm gonna have my hands full in December, choice of phone is a big decision for me....then again if this is the biggest thing i have to worry about then i guess im doing ok in life lol

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Here's the good news. You have two phones that were just released, offering the best of both platforms. This is a good time to buy.

5. richie021501

richie021501 New Member

6. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

Chris's right about the apps in Android. Most seems like they were made in a hurry. Also, being an ex-Motorola Droid user, I feel that in terms of software, Apple always delivers. Though hardware specs of the iPhone may often seem inferior to the newer dual-core Droids, iPhones rarely has lagging problems like the Droids, as you use it.

I'm suggesting the iPhone 4S. Since you've been a long-time user of Droids. Try the Force instead! :D

7. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

The specs I don't worry with too much, it's the actual performance that is important to me. It's kinda like comparing the Ferrari 458 Italia to the corvette z06, on paper it looks like the Ferrari will spank the z06....but when it comes down to it...the z06 is over two seconds ahead on the Nurburgring. Same with the iPhone, specs on paper would less you to believe the S2 would outperform it. Well, I think it speaks for itself.

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Especially when you are driving around town and not at a track. Nice comparison.

9. chris_st

chris_st Member
    Bronze

Worst case there are return policies, personally I know I'm getting the Galaxy Nexus, but my better half has the 4S already, so really I'm just looking forward to a constant [unbiased] comparison. Android will be new for me, so I can understand the appeal of something new as well

10. Chex

Chex Member

If screen size isn't important go with the iPhone.

It is to me so I'll go for that 4.65" screen on the nexus and come back to iOS if they ever increase.

Sent from my iPhone 10S-teve
    "Here's to the Crazy Ones"

11. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

I agree, I like Android and IOS and have a 4s right now. It's a great device but I miss the bigger screen. I will pic up the Galaxy Nexus as soon as its released and see which I like the most. If only Apple had increased the screen size

12. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

13. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not willing to sacrifice battery life and portability for a bigger screen. I also don't like how big phones look and fit in my hand and pocket. I wouldn't be able to use the device and type with one hand. The 5 MP camera and graphics chip are disappointing.

15. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Here's a screenshot off my Android if you're looking for a new "UI".

uploadfromtaptalk1319074096225.png

But if you're looking for something clean, polished and great on responsiveness and battery, and screen size isn't an issue look at the 4S.

What phone are you coming from, what do you use must on it?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

16. iBoss

iBoss Contributor
    Bronze

Like SiRi said when I asked her about "what's the best smartphone?" replied..."I didn't know there where other phones out there,"! So yeah get the iPhone 4S

17. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

since this is an Apple fourm it's only obvious that things will be one sided. but since i have both a GS2 and a ip4s i will give you my take on both. first let me start off by saying you can't go wrong with either device both are at the top of the food chain. both are very fast so fast that really speed is not an issue no more. who really cares if a phone is like 1 sec faster. now before Apple was the king as far as scrolling smoothnest. not the case no more the GS2 is smoother and faster when scrolling. now if you want a bigger screen theirs no place for you to go but Android. but i also understand if you have small hands then bigger may not be your bag. that's ok to. battery life not an issue the GS2 will last you all day with heavy usage. can't ask for more than that with a phone with a big screen. rather than go on and on. why not just do a youtube search and watch as many videos as you can and then decide. here i will start you off with your first one here. you alone can make your own decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bphZoV8VrLc

18. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Looked up your comment about the graphics chip. Wow, yeah that's a heavy hit in my book. I'm sure that's gonna cause a stir in the Android forums too. The camera, I was waiting on since as I've heard here many times, it's also about the optics.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is it all about the optics and I'm aware of the megapixel myth. We'll wait and see how good the quality and optics are. The optics on the 4S are supurb so I can't see the Nexus taking better pictures that it can. It's definitely possible that it will take better pictures than a subpar 8 MP camera, though. Still surprising that they went with 5 since Android phone manufacturers typically try to top the iPhone with these numbers.

20. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Dang. 4.65inch screen on the Nexus. That will be dwarf the 4S. I bet that screen will be nearly 60-70% larger than 4S. if the frorm factor is not too large that will look amazing.

Yes I have a 4S. I only wonder how big the Nexus will be in overall size. I like the fom factor size of the iPhone 4/iP4S...a little largere is OK to get a 4in screen but not a lot.