iPhone 4S vs Samsung GS2 Skyrocket Photo Quality

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Looks like with low lighting the skyrocket can't compete at all. What other comparison would you like to see, IP5?
Just looked at the the 3 pairs of outdoor shots from the desktop and can easily say the Samsung wins in those shots. I couldn't compare the shots as well when viewing from the Tapatalk app on my DHD.

Also note the depth of field in the Samsung to capture the details of the fence in the background while focusing on the foreground. I thought the iP4S was suppose to have the better optics? Also keep in mind that if you feel depth of field is a subjective attribute, one can always digitally adjust the pic with more details to blur the background. The same can't be done to enhance the shot with less content, 4S.

Oct 3, 2009
When I compared my 4, 4S and the S2 in low light, I got different results.

Oct 3, 2009
The constant refocusing of the skyrocket is annoying.

You can see that the 4S has stabilization but man does it end up with motion artifacts.

INHO....The skyrocket doesn't do as well as the 4S on bright areas or whites...washes out a lot, but does better than the 4S on the blacks and seems to have richer colors in the middle range. The 4S also seems to loose some of the contrast in areas that have colors that are close or speckled like the sand area. That might be an effect of the stabilization. 4S also seemed to have a little trouble with bright areas in the fish tank but not near as bad as the skyrocket. Wow, lots of motion blur on the street section and the hammock section from the 4S. Has to be from the stabilization. I have noticed a lot of motion artifacts from the stabilization.

Also, what did you edit it on? Seems to be a lot of missing frames and choppy sections.

All in all not bad video from either device for a cell phone. Won't replace my HD video camera anytime soon for my quality stuff though.

Thanks for posting.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
The videos were thrown together with iMovie on my iMac. Just RAW files were used.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
sound is very muffled on the 4S, was that from the editing?

would also be interesting to make a rig so that you can shoot from both devices at the same time and for the same duration.
also, can you upload the individual vids so we can open in two windows and view side-by-side.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
sound is very muffled on the 4S, was that from the editing?

would also be interesting to make a rig so that you can shoot from both devices at the same time and for the same duration.
also, can you upload the individual vids so we can open in two windows and view side-by-side.
I was shooting simultaneously. Angles may not have been exactly the same. The sound may seem muffled on the iPhone but that's the noise cancellation working. If you notice, you can here the people talking but the harsh background noise was reduced. I felt the sound on the Skyrocket too harsh and didn't filter the background noises such as the running/splashing water.