iPhone 5. Add a line or wait for upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Yankeem0mo33, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Yankeem0mo33

Yankeem0mo33 Member
    Bronze

Hey guys, I'm currently under contract with AT&T and I'm a bit torn between adding a line,so i can get a 5 at $199.99, or waiting for my upgrade. Buying at full price is not an option. I'm currently using an iPhone 3GS because I lost my 4s and I'm not up for an upgrade until July 2013. I really want to get a 5 but I'm trying to decide whether to add a new line and pay the $9.99 a month or wait until July to upgrade.

It's really tough going from a 4s to a 3GS so I'm pretty desperate for an upgrade. Do you think it's worth it or should I just tough it out another 8 months?

2. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Well, it seems like you will be dropping over $300 over 2 years to get an iP5 for $199 now. How much will it cost you now without the discount?

3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

In a similar situation, although I did have the 5 for two weeks at launch, the carrier switch did not work for me, so I returned them.
    We all know the next 2 holiday months will fly by, so it's actually more like waitning 4 months. Likely can get a early upgrade withing the last 2 months of your contract I would think, if you play your cards right....

4. Yankeem0mo33

Yankeem0mo33 Member
    Bronze

Well Lon, what I actually thought of doing is closing the line that's up for an upgrade come July. That way I would have only spent around $90 come July.

5. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Hmmm. Sounds like you have given this some serious thought. Check your contract dates though. You might be eligible for a subsidized iPhone in July, but AT&T typically grants that subsidy before the expiration of the 2 year commitment so you may not be able to close out that other line without some level of penalty. Just saying....

6. Yankeem0mo33

Yankeem0mo33 Member
    Bronze

Thanks! I'll definitely check with AT&T to see what they tell me. I know I had checked the early upgrade pricing and it was like $449 for the 16 gig. Not worth it in my opinion.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I lost my 4S as well. And, having lost my 4 before that, I had to use my 3GS for a while.

The only thing that fixed me was getting the 5.

But that's just me...

8. Yankeem0mo33

Yankeem0mo33 Member
    Bronze

Anyone know which is the quickest method to go through. I've checked pretty much all retailers in my local area so ordering online is my only option. Should I go through AT&T, Apple, best buy or radioshack?

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Personally, I like online ordering through the Apple website. I pre-ordered my 5 online and it was delivered to my house on iDay. Yes, I got it at the end of the businesss day, but UPS was overwhelmed that day...

Do you have an Apple store nearby? If you do and if they are sold out, you could try this method:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/how-to-get-an-iphone-5-without-waiting-3-4-weeks.99308/

10. Yankeem0mo33

Yankeem0mo33 Member
    Bronze

That's pretty awesome Rafagon, unfortunately my closest Apple store is 4 hrs away lol

11. TrueChili

TrueChili Member
    Bronze

If you had a 4 currently, I'd tell you to wait but the 3 is just so awful! The way I think, I'd find every minuscule reason I could to convince myself to get a 5.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List