iPhone 5 back beginning to flake?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by jcmitchell5, Sep 19, 2012.

1. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I just read the reviews on everythingicafe.com and one person said that they noticed a couple of the backs flaking/scratching. I really hope this isn't going to be a problem. They said that the white one may not look as bad...

2. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

The iPhone 5 isn't our yet, so I don't know how they'd know it was flaking.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Hope that is not the case but my zagg skin arrives Friday as well and will be placed on phone immediately so I feel confident that will prevent that from being a problem.

4. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Sorry... The review was from Pocket-Lint on gizmodo. They said that they have "witnessed it on two separate models, ruling out a fluke manufacturing error".

5. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

It seems that a few companies were allowed the iPhone 5 before it was released to review it.

6. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I haven't heard that, but yet I don't check gizmodo. I don't think Apple would because the company could loose it or sell it.

7. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Everythingicafe has reviews on their site as well, so someone has had to of gotten it early.

8. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

This is icafe & maybe you were looking at the pics that had the plastic still on the back.

9. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Go to the website everythingicafe.com and read the first post. It has reviews posted from different companies. It's not in the forums. The post is called "iPhone 5 Reviews Roundup".

10. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I call BS on pocket lint. Apple makes their aluminum the same color throughout just so this kind of thing doesn't happen.

11. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Okay, I saw that a few people were testing them but I didn't see the flaking.

12. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

That's what I was thinking. I just thought everyone would find it interesting. I hope it's not true.

13. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yeah, it warrants further investigation for sure. If all Apple did was take the silvery aluminum and paint it, then that is really un-apple-like in a very bad way. That's more like what I'd expect in a cheap throwaway phone.

I need to see it to believe it

14. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I saw the review earlier myself, along with a lot of others who had the opportunity to preview the iP5. Pocket Lint was the only one to make this observation. But, it still raises an issue worth keeping an eye on.
    Glad I didn't bring it up myself as this almost became a "shoot the messenger" thread!;)

15. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I'm shooting Pocket Lint, not the messenger! wink2.gif

16. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Haha true that. Oh well. I don't mind. Just wanted to get some feedback and opinions and it worked!

17. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I agree with you fully fury. That doesn't seem to the very apple-y of them. They have been in the game long enough to know that would create a problem. I guess we will find out soon enough.

18. cabinets

cabinets Member
    Bronze

Pocket-Lint
    Ditching the glass back and reducing the thickness of the glass panel on the front has affected the design of the metal band around the edge of the iPhone. It is now chamfered and while that looks pretty, we've already noticed that on the black model the edge has started to wear, revealing the shiny silver aluminium metal underneath the "slate" coloured coating and, indeed, we've witnessed it on two separate models, ruling out a fluke manufacturing error.
    These small scuffs will catch the light and make the phone look visibly worn. We suspect that it won't be as noticeable on the white model because the metal edging is silver, so that's worth bearing in mind when you come to order your colour choice.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Several reviewers got iPhone 5s a few days ago. The announcement is over - there is nothing to hide. If they sold it, Apple probably wouldn't give them another one to review next year.

20. Deke736

Deke736 Member
    Bronze

Yeah, I don't see a respectable media outlet selling their test iPhone. That just doesn't make any sense to me. I think most companies want to stay in Apple's favor and be allowed early previews like this.