iPhone 5 camera blurry spot

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by texasdontholdem, Aug 1, 2013.

1. texasdontholdem

Bronze

For a while now my iPhone camera has had a black blur spot on it. It looks like I should be able to just clean it off, but it seems to be inside. Almost looks like a piece of lint. Only on front facing camera. See attachment. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1375361174.307448.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My brother had the same problem with something inside the lens and it's even worse with videos. Apple will replace the phone for free. Do you live near an Apple Store?

3. texasdontholdem

Bronze

Phone is over a year old and jailbroken..... hopefully they can fix it, rather than replace. I have a lot of apps on this darn thing. thx

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Hopefully you live near or close to an Apple store. The nearest one for me is 2-3 hours away.

Sent using iCafe app

5. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Apple will not fix a jailbroken iPhone. You will need to restore it to bring it to Apple. Make sure you backup your apps either using iTunes or iCloud.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Your thread is in the iPhone 5 section, and my advice was based on that information as every iPhone 5 is still under warranty. Please post which phone you have so I can move this thread. Thanks.

Your apps can be installed on the replacement phone. If the defect is inside the lens, which it appears to be, they will replace the phone rather than repairing it. It sounds like it's out of warranty, so it probably won't be free.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'd just replace the camera myself. If its an iPhone 4 or 4S then it's simple. Here's a video showing you how and parts are cheap on amazon

8. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

Oh yeah, I could do that with my eyes shut! :D

9. texasdontholdem

Bronze

Its an iPhone 5... Jailbroken. Not gonna bother restoring it... I have my phone where i want it and not in the mood to start from scratch. Thx all

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it is an iPhone 5, it is still under warranty and Apple will exchange it free of charge. This defect will hurt your resale value, so you'll probably want to swap it out before the warranty expires.

11. EverythingApple

Gold

He said its jailbroken and he doesn't want to restore and lose the jailbreak. If he gets a new one from Apple, he won't be able to re-jailbreak. You know that. ;)

Sent using iCafe app

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, I know. Would you let the warranty expire on a defective phone just so you could keep your jailbreak? I recommend exchanging it on or before the last day of the warranty.

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Fix it yourself :D

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just keep in mind that repairing it yourself will void the warranty. Also, you'll have to pay for tools and parts when Apple will exchange it for free.

15. EverythingApple

Gold

Absolutely not. I did it. I lost my jailbreak to get my phone replaced. I agree with you 100%. I cringed when I had to do it.

Sent using iCafe app