iPhone 5 camera blurry spot

Sep 18, 2010
For a while now my iPhone camera has had a black blur spot on it. It looks like I should be able to just clean it off, but it seems to be inside. Almost looks like a piece of lint. Only on front facing camera. See attachment.
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1375361174.307448.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My brother had the same problem with something inside the lens and it's even worse with videos. Apple will replace the phone for free. Do you live near an Apple Store?

Sep 18, 2010
Phone is over a year old and jailbroken..... hopefully they can fix it, rather than replace. I have a lot of apps on this darn thing. thx

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Phone is over a year old and jailbroken..... hopefully they can fix it, rather than replace. I have a lot of apps on this darn thing. thx
Your thread is in the iPhone 5 section, and my advice was based on that information as every iPhone 5 is still under warranty. Please post which phone you have so I can move this thread. Thanks.

Your apps can be installed on the replacement phone. If the defect is inside the lens, which it appears to be, they will replace the phone rather than repairing it. It sounds like it's out of warranty, so it probably won't be free.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
For a while now my iPhone camera has had a black blur spot on it. It looks like I should be able to just clean it off, but it seems to be inside. Almost looks like a piece of lint. Only on front facing camera. See attachment. View attachment 30402

Sent using iCafe app
I'd just replace the camera myself. If its an iPhone 4 or 4S then it's simple. Here's a video showing you how and parts are cheap on amazon

Sep 18, 2010
Its an iPhone 5... Jailbroken. Not gonna bother restoring it... I have my phone where i want it and not in the mood to start from scratch. Thx all

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If it is an iPhone 5, it is still under warranty and Apple will exchange it free of charge. This defect will hurt your resale value, so you'll probably want to swap it out before the warranty expires.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
If it is an iPhone 5, it is still under warranty and Apple will exchange it free of charge. This defect will hurt your resale value, so you'll probably want to swap it out before the warranty expires.
He said its jailbroken and he doesn't want to restore and lose the jailbreak. If he gets a new one from Apple, he won't be able to re-jailbreak. You know that. ;)

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
He said its jailbroken and he doesn't want to restore and lose the jailbreak. If he gets a new one from Apple, he won't be able to re-jailbreak. You know that. ;)
Yes, I know. Would you let the warranty expire on a defective phone just so you could keep your jailbreak? I recommend exchanging it on or before the last day of the warranty.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just keep in mind that repairing it yourself will void the warranty. Also, you'll have to pay for tools and parts when Apple will exchange it for free.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Yes, I know. Would you let the warranty expire on a defective phone just so you could keep your jailbreak? I recommend exchanging it on or before the last day of the warranty.
Absolutely not. I did it. I lost my jailbreak to get my phone replaced. I agree with you 100%. I cringed when I had to do it.

Sent using iCafe app