iPhone 5 campout thread!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
I didn't see one so thought I'd start one.
Well, I had full intentions of preordering the iPhone at 6:00 AM eastern time this morning and yep, 2 week wait! So, it looks like I'll be camping out for the first time since the 3G release! Any advice? Do any stores open at midnight?

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Camping out is fun. Kinda :) I usually arrive at midnight. Wait in my car playing games on my iPad or phone, updating the icafe. When I see a couple more cars show up, then I drag my chair out and sit right up by the front door. (this also gives me a good wifi connection to the Apple wifi). Very soon after, more people will show up. I've found through experience that most people start showing up around the 4am mark. One of the worst feelings when camping out is that inevitable bathroom break. Depending on your location, as have been my experiences, there aren't many places to relieve yourself. Drink fluids cautiously and sparingly. Nothing is worse then running into that Apple store as soon as the doors open and be jumping up and down impatiently while they process your order and ask you questions all the while your eyes are watering and the only think you can think is how badly you need to pee. I suggest bringing a lightweight folding chair and having all your iDevices fully charged. Don't hesitate to bring a sweatshirt in the car should those temps fall. Most Apple stores won't open early. It's 8am. Business as usual but with a little more fanfare. Their job is to process you in and out, quickly and efficiently. Be ready. That's about all I can think of. (and make friends like Chris said)

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
Ha, ha! Good advice! I'm still unsure where to go. I'm an hour or so from the nearest Apple store. I'm closer to my AT&T store, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. do any of them do a midnight launch? That would be my best bet! I wouldn't even have to miss wok!

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
I find it strange that nobody is camping yet. Usually there's one fanatic thats already in line at least 1'week before release day. I looked on YouTube, google the news and found nothing. Wanna shamelessly be famous? Start camping out now.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
Does the Apple stores sell out of new phones on launch day or will they have more than enough for demand. I'm not the type to wait in line 10 hours before they open but to get there maybe an hour or two. I have to send in my old phone before oct 1 to get the price I was offered so I can wait 2 or 3 weeks to get it.

leggz2di4

Bronze
Jul 26, 2010
New York
Don't forget your adult diapers/Depends. Makes those bathroom breaks much easier. Laugh Out Loud just kidding of course.

Sadly still rocking a blackberry...but for not much longer!
Loving my iPad 2.

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Does the Apple stores sell out of new phones on launch day or will they have more than enough for demand. I'm not the type to wait in line 10 hours before they open but to get there maybe an hour or two. I have to send in my old phone before oct 1 to get the price I was offered so I can wait 2 or 3 weeks to get it.
Nope, not everybody in line gets one. If you get in line 2 hours before the store opens your chances of getting one will be super slim.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
How long does it take them to go though their supply. I can't be there all day after they open cause I need to leave to go out of town.

Jill1228

Bronze
Dec 23, 2009
Cedar Rapids, IA
When I got the 4, I ordered online and did pickup at the big store in downtown San Francisco. Caught the first BART and was there at 4:30 or 5am. Store opened at 7 or 7:30. I was out by 8 and then headed to Oakland for my acupuncture appt.
Went home after that and slept.
Now that I am no longer living in Cali :( and the closest Apple Store is 140 miles away in Des Moines, I am having my phone delivered to me

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
Well after talking to my local Best Buy, Radio Shack and AT&T Store, my best bet will be AT&T's local store. They said people usually start lining up 2 hours before they open so I'll be there 3 hours early! Not too bad!

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app

Yesim

Sep 14, 2012
Camping does has its unique experiences. I would like to try out camping on the streets with other people and perhaps even make some friends. Sounds excellent!;)