iPhone 5 charger

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by mytiabear, Aug 15, 2014.

1. mytiabear

mytiabear New Member

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1408137401.380950.jpg

This is my 2nd iPhone 5 charger I've gone through (includes the one that came with the phone) that has stopped charging. Anyone else have this problem or know why?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I was told on here that you can get an iPhone charger replacement through Apple for free. I don't notice any wear or tear, so it should still charge.

Is the second charger from Apple (made by them)?

3. mytiabear

mytiabear New Member

2nd one isn't from apple, I ordered it on eBay . But I still have the original. Do I just go to an apple store?

4. mytiabear

mytiabear New Member

The one in the pic is the one I bought on eBay . Worked fine for 2 months then just didn't charge anymore.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I have done that and eBay chargers are usually not made by Apple. They are cheaper which is good but they break quicker.

As far as getting a replacement for free for the one made by Apple, I haven't tried as I now just use the ones on eBay a seller continued to send me as I was the only one to tell him they break faster.

Yep. Mine last a few weeks and then break enough where I can see the wires inside. The one I'm using now is broken on the side where you plug it in to the port, not the iPhone. It still charges, but nonetheless Apple chargers are best.

6. mytiabear

mytiabear New Member

That's good to know thank you. I think I'll go spend the money for an apple one. I'll look into seeing if they will let me exchange the original first. Thank you for the info.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Not a problem at all. I'm not saying you can't look for an Apple one on eBay, but I wouldn't anymore. I made the mistake of not reading the description fully. It actually said on it not made by Apple. Not OEM.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple will replace your original charger or cable for free if it is still under warranty. Be sure to make an appointment at the Genius Bar rather than just showing up. The standard warranty is one year and Apple Care+ purchasers get that extended to two years. Here's why it's a good idea to avoid eBay chargers.

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

An alternative option is to look at MFi (Made for iPhone) certified cables. Amazon makes them, along with a number of assorted manufacturers. In the past few weeks, I ordered a few from different manufacturers. All were well reviewed and work great. In fact, I'm liking the cables made by Aduro more than the OEM cables. The grip is easier to grab and remove from the phone.

There are questionable cables on Amazon, just like on eBay. Always look at the reviews, since I'm sure there are some that claim to be MFi. The third-party cables I purchased had 1-year warranties. Honestly, at the price, I probably wouldn't pursue a warranty claim if they failed after a year. These were $10 or less.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I only use chargers/adaptors made by Apple. I did buy a Monoprice 10' certified lightning cable on Amazon. It's been great.

11. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I'm on my second Apple lightning cable in 2 years for my iPhone 5 that has gone bad. The cable that I am using now is less that 4 months old and I never move it from my nightstand. Does Apple require a receipt for the replacement?

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4127

I'm assuming this is good information although I didn't receive a notice.

13. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I got my iPhone 5 cable replaced today by the Apple store. They needed my serial number and than came out with a new one. They asked if it was still under warranty and I told them yes and that I had AppleCare+. No cost or questions for me.

I just wish my battery fell under the range of serial numbers, but it didn't. :( 1 for 2 isn't that bad.