iPhone 5 charging cable compatible with iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad Air' started by bkford, Nov 16, 2013.

1. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I was told at AT&T that the charging cables are interchangeable between the iPhone 5 and the iPad Air. When I attempt to plug in the iPhone 5 cable to the iPad Air, it doesn't want to go in, so I haven't forced it. Should it work?

Sent using iCafe app

2. Ron7624

Ron7624 Member
    Bronze

Yes it should, and you are right by not trying to force it. First of all be sure that it is the actual cable that came with the Apple device, that it is a lightning connector, and that your ipad isn't in a case that may restrict the the jacket around the lightning connector.
    If fall of that is ok, take it to the Apple genius for help. Above all continue to not force it. Mfi lightning cables ARE interchangeable between devices.

Sent using iCafe app

3. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Thank you. This is very helpful. I have two cables, one that came with the iPhone and one that came with the iPad Air. One is black and one is white. The white one works fine in the iPad Air without struggle. The black one is the one I had tried before sending this question. I also have a Zagg Folio for the iPad Air, so that could also be the problem when trying to use the black one. At any rate, your answer tells me everything I need to resolve my issue, and I thank you very much.

4. Ron7624

Ron7624 Member
    Bronze

You're very welcome

5. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

DO NOT use that black cable on any iPhone or iPad! No Apple device comes with a black cable...ONLY white cables. There are third party black cables, but Apple does not make a white cable. I think the black cable you're trying to use is the charging cable that came with your Zagg Folio and that is a mini-USB cable that will not work with any Apple device. In fact, you could damage your Apple device trying to use that cable. Check the ends and compare them...there will be a difference.

Sent using iCafe app

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I use a black lightning cable from T-Mobile and it works just fine.

7. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

Yes...I stated that there are third party black cables (I use a blue Frogz cable)...but that no iPhone or iPad comes with a black cable from Apple.

Sent using iCafe app