iPhone 5 crashing

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by missygal, Jan 11, 2013.

1. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

I just got my iPhone 5 last week and I'm already having problems!

Some apps are crashing and sometimes while taking pic or modifying pic phone goes to Apple Logo then back on.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Have tried to restore it?

3. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

No I haven't...

Should I try this or get phone exchanged in your opinion? So frustrating on a new phone!

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You do not need to exchange it. This is a software problem. Did you restore from a backup of an old phone? If so, that may be the cause. Either way, the fix is to restore it. I would try a hard reset first, though. Press the home and power buttons at the same time. Ignore the "Slide to power off." Let go of both buttons when you see the Apple logo. Restore to factory settings if that doesn't help.

5. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

I did a restore last night and yes it was a back up from my old iPhone 4S, which also crashed a lot. If it crashes again shall I restore as a new phone?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes. You're probably going to need to restore this phone to factory settings if you want it to be stable.

7. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

That's your answer. Some thing is corrupted on your backup which made your iPhone 4S crash too. The only option is to restore as new.

Sent using iCafe app

8. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

Anytime I get a new phone I usually set it up as a new phone just to keep everything clean.
    In fact every once and a while I wipe mine clean and reset it up as new when I'm bored
    Tom

Sent using iCafe app

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'd sure love to see the evidence that restoring as new is better than restoring from back up. I do believe it just haven't seen any real tests on the matter.

Sent using iCafe app

10. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

So far it hasn't crashed or had had any other issues. :)

Sent using iCafe app

11. debbiep

debbiep Member
    Bronze

Take it to your local Apple store. Was having issues with mine, decided it was better to have the folks at Apple deal with it then me. Glad I did, good as new.

Sent using iCafe app

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Just like restoring a computer. You could reinstall the OS from a backup that has fragmented bits & pieces of previously installed & deleted stuff or start fresh with a brand new install. A fresh install is always going to be better. Easier? No.

Sent using iCafe app

13. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

It still hasn't crashed so I'm pretty sure the restore worked! Thank you for your help!

Sent using iCafe app

14. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Is this they way the restore works I had the impression the when you restore from back up all it's really doing in first install the os the settings (which is more of note of how things are set up not really a file per say) then reinstalls the apps, musics, pics and videos from iTunes and as it installs the apps it installs the data for them. So everything is new except the data which could be corrupt and could cause problems. Now this is if its done through iCloud, if you restore from the computer it uses the files on your computer and any of these could be corrupted.

Like I said this was my impression and I never had to install as new and it always fixed problem they said were software related even when reinstalling from a back up just a few hour old. Been doing this since my 3G iPhone.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's not necessary. This type of problem can be fixed with a restore.

16. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I never restore from back up as I think restoring as new is a better option, I was just curious about whether there's any tests or write ups about what restoring from backup really does.

Sent using iCafe app

17. cbunseng

cbunseng New Member

i did have the same problem it keep crashing and slow.

18. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

If you go to exchange it their gonna make you restore & setup as new before they exchange it.

Sent using iCafe app

19. debbiep

debbiep Member
    Bronze

Thought my phone was fixed, less than two weeks later same issued started again. Was given a new phone. Yes, was advised to set up as new in case there were issues with the last back up.

Sent using iCafe app

20. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

That's great news. Thanks for reporting back to us.

Sent using iCafe app