iPhone 5 Exclusive on Sprint Only?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Was there a point in that post or are you just rambling?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Was there a point in that post or are you just rambling?
Connected to multiple comments across the thread plus rambling. Too much to piece the quotes together at this hour and on phone.

Triggers for me were to contextualize comments like "surreal", "prepay", "additional Apple sales". The WiM stuff was my own extrapolation since it hasn't been mentioned.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
Guess the (1) notification on the phone icon means Only 1 Company is getting it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think people a reading into that little 1 WAY too much.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I think people a reading into that little 1 WAY too much.
I think it means (I said before 1 message) but really the "1 and only"! You ever need around the world the "1".
Apple tries to put one in the hand of every customer. Around the world! All the new store openings and have lower price models available are indicaters. They have a vision of "1" device does it all! This it just as Apple says in an iPad add the beginning. They have plans we have only heard of in Science fiction. I predict cable as we know it will be gone and replaced by the "1" device. You will pay for everything with that "1" device ( I am for it, if it's not charging $5). Telephone who knows why would we need it if that "1" device does it ? Internet provider maybe not near future but at some point not needed anymore. The "1" device does it all! Get internet over the air and tethers it to other devices. And so much more ! Yeah what ever it, is I believe it means "1" as the "1 and only"!

Oct 3, 2009
Wow...this Sprint thing made Fox News this morning. They are reporting it like FACT. Holy crap I can't imagine the backlash this would create.

No wonder Steve retired. LOL

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
If true, both Verizon AND Apple will have screwed me this year. Verizon: no Nexus Prime and no Galaxy S2 for you. Apple no IP5 for you.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
I can't get the upgrade until next year, so I don't care too much if it did go Sprint only for the rest of 2011. That said, are not nearly every ATT iPhone 4 owner in the same overall boat - you won't be eligible (I know they waive it to some extent), but most won't be eligible for another 3 months anyway - this also give ATT (and maybe Verizon) time to get everything in better order anyway - as to 4g.

I guess I just don't see the major problem - should the story be accurate. I do see some people moving from ATT/Verizon to Sprint - something that Apple would not care about, I see Sprint gaining new customers, and while Apple and Verizon may lose some, could that improve overall service on the carriers?

Not saying the rumor is accurate or not - just not sure what makes this an earthshattering issue, of course if I were eligible now, maybe I'd see it differently.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I can't get the upgrade until next year, so I don't care too much if it did go Sprint only for the rest of 2011. That said, are not nearly every ATT iPhone 4 owner in the same overall boat - you won't be eligible (I know they waive it to some extent), but most won't be eligible for another 3 months anyway - this also give ATT (and maybe Verizon) time to get everything in better order anyway - as to 4g.

I guess I just don't see the major problem - should the story be accurate. I do see some people moving from ATT/Verizon to Sprint - something that Apple would not care about, I see Sprint gaining new customers, and while Apple and Verizon may lose some, could that improve overall service on the carriers?

Not saying the rumor is accurate or not - just not sure what makes this an earthshattering issue, of course if I were eligible now, maybe I'd see it differently.
I totally agree! Don't know why people here are getting so bent out of shape. When AT&T was the only one with the iPhone everybody complained monopoly. They gave it to Verizon and everybody said they wanted voice & data at the same time. If they give it to Sprint exclusively the AT&T lovers/haters will still complain, the Verizon lovers/haters will still complain, the Sprint lovers/haters will still complain BUT everybody in the end will either go to Sprint if they want it bad enough or stay where they are and buy it later.

If Apple got Sprint to give them a contract like that then it's because Apple thought it would be the best way to guarantee money for themselves. It would be the same reasoning as when they gave it to AT&T exclusively for the first time. If they would have sold it to AT&T and to T-Mobile for example they would have sold more units but they decided for whatever reason (most likely money) to go exclusively with AT&T back then.

I for one am hoping Sprint gets it now. I don't really care if other carriers get it because it doesn't affect me if others get it and all I want is the Sprint unlimited data.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
It's a ridiculous rumor, one that would guarantee I jump ship and go to Android.
Seriously? You have a fully functioning iPhone 4 on the network you like, you're a Mod on an iPhone forum where you have so much power over the other members, your girlfriend is now a Mod with all those powers here too, and if this rumor turns out to be true just because you can't get the iPhone 5 you're GUARANTEEING you're switching to an Android. Please....

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I love it! Let me add this that I just read. It covers exactly what I'm talking about. Those who have a great phone are getting upset because Sprint might be the only carrier to have the new iPhone so they'll have to wait a few months.

The only answer I can find to this question, is that if you’re upset the design of the iPhone hasn’t changed within 16 months, then you’re more concerned about what your phone says about you, rather than what it can do for you.

Like cars, clothes, and watches, cellphones have now become a status symbol. Technology is now a means by which our society gauges each other’s inherent worth and intelligence. It’s not completely your fault for succumbing to this view. In fact, Apple has led the marketing charge, convincing us we are more desirable and cool if we have the newest iPhone or iPad. We’ve all bought into their system that forces us to wait in line on launch day so we can be the first of our friends to buy the new device. A new form factor makes it easier for us to distinguish who has the latest and greatest iDevice. Parading through our social circles, we use our new iPhones’ form factor as a designator to show how hip and up to date we are.

We want Apple to come out with a redesigned iPhone 5, not because we care so much about the improved processors, memory, and camera, but because we will feel better about ourselves for having the newest gadget on the market while other people are still playing Angry Birds on their “boring,” “old” iPhone 4.

Excerpt from : http://www.cultofmac.com/119960/why-the-iphone-4s-is-anything-but-disappointing-opinion/2/

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Seriously? You have a fully functioning iPhone 4 on the network you like, you're a Mod on an iPhone forum where you have so much power over the other members, your girlfriend is now a Mod with all those powers here too, and if this rumor turns out to be true just because you can't get the iPhone 5 you're GUARANTEEING you're switching to an Android. Please....
All these powers? Give me a break. It's only a forum. I don't know about him, but if I wanted to jump ship to Android, being a mod on an iPhone forum wouldn't stop me.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
If naps jumps ship, he has sign over his "powers" to me....Muhahahaha

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app

IceCold357

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2009
Just saw this on the Engadget live blog....

12:15PM We're in! And so is Ralph de la Vega, head honcho of AT&T Mobility. Not surprisingly, he's on an iPhone. But it's an iPhone 4. I bet he's super upset that he doesn't have an iPhone 5.

If he is there, I am pretty sure AT&T will get the 5 also if there is one.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
All these powers? Give me a break. It's only a forum. I don't know about him, but if I wanted to jump ship to Android, being a mod on an iPhone forum wouldn't stop me.
I know. I was talking about him and his comment guaranteeing he's leaving. Why? Forget about the Mod part but you have a fully functioning iPhone 4 on the network you like and if this rumor turns out to be true just because you can't get the iPhone 5 you're GUARANTEEING you're switching to an Android? that doesn't make sense to me.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Oh and about the power, of course there's lots of power. The Mods can stop a thread or even ban someone for what their subjective interpretation of a rule is. I'm not saying Napoleon or Europa have done it I'm saying they can and lets be honest here, it has happened in the past.