iPhone 5 gets hot and won't hold charge

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by FuelieNova, Aug 24, 2013.

1. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I was using my iPhone 5 that was just replaced in the last month from Apple, the iPhone started getting pretty warm and battery level dropped 50% in 15 min. Charged it with a wall charger overnight and in the morning it was only 73% and hot. Let the battery drain completely down and tried to recharge, it will not take a charge. The Apple logo comes up and goes out in a couple of seconds and then comes back up again and repeats this the entire time I am trying to charge.
    Any ideas, using Apple charger and cable.
    Thanks
    tom

2. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Bring back to Apple.

Sent using iCafe app

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I concur with the previous poster. This could be an unsafe iPhone, let alone one that is functioning correctly. There is absolutely nothing software related that would cause the iPhone 5 to get hot and not hold a charge. This is definitely a hardware issue, once that can only be corrected by a replacement. I'd set up a Genius appointment asap and explain the situation. I'd be shocked if it wasn't immediately swapped out at no cost to you.

Good luck and be sure to report back.

4. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I have an appt for 2pm tomorrow. I just hope they have phones in stock, when they replaced this one it was the last one they had! Good thing is it has Applecare and is still under warranty.
    Thanks guys
    Tom

5. vanyas

vanyas New Member

your battery might have exploded no lie

Sent using iCafe app

6. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Really? They should have replacements. they have phones used only for replacements. You'll only get the phone. You're not getting the whole box with accessories.

Sent using iCafe app

7. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

Just go back from Apple, it had an error 2001 which they said was a hardware issue. The replaced the phone and all is good. I will say I love iCloud backup and restore!
    Tom