iPhone 5 home button issue

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by dinosaur1, Sep 25, 2012.

1. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

My home button makes a clicking sound after I press it as the button is coming back up. Anyone else have this issue? Would this be considered an Apple Store genius bar visit or should I call Apple directly?

2. NYR2405

NYR2405 New Member

If they call Apple they will make you go to a genius anyway. I would just make an appointment and go.

3. John Tierney

John Tierney Heretic
    Bronze

My Home button is smooth with no sound. Go to Apple store in a few weeks when the dust settles.

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

My iPhone 4 started doing that a few weeks ago. Annoying and I'm really wondering if it's a sign the home button is failing. Hopefully my iP5 gets here soon.

I would definitely bring it into the Apple store and have that fixed.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Mine and all of the other iPhone 5s in the store that I tested do that. I noticed it right off the bat. None of my previous iPhones did it. I'm hoping I get used to it.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Mine does it so. I'm not worried, I'm chill.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The home button on my iPhone 5 clicks when it's all the way down. It's not an issue for me, as the sleep button on my 4S has done the same thing for almost a year without any failure whatsoever.

8. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

You guys make me paranoid sometimes:( I guess I'd better check mine out...

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to clarify - is yours an iPhone 5?

10. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I guess I've never really noticed this. On my 5 there are two clicks every time I press it down. One click to go down and one click when it goes up. This seems normal to me. Is this what everyone is talking about?

11. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I thought it s because they redesigned the button ? It's harder to push now! I hope with plenty of use it will get softer (I doubt it so)

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I think people are worrying for no reason. Does your home button do its job? Yes? Then leave it alone.

13. John Tierney

John Tierney Heretic
    Bronze

Yes. It make no audible sounds. Unless it a sensory thing. I guess I can feel a "click"

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Interesting. Maybe they don't all do it. I returned my Verizon iPhone 5 yesterday and ordered an AT&T iPhone 5, but the home button on mine made an audible clicking sound every time I pressed it. Kinda annoying in a quiet room, but I didn't think it was defective since I heard others do the same thing.

15. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

the 2 family members on my account also have an iPhone 5, none of their home button click like mine does. I called Apple and the Apple store, they both tell me to bring it in in about a week or so when they get more inventory to replace it.

16. SunnySweet

SunnySweet Contributor
    Bronze

Mine (black iPhone 5 64) sounds (yes there is an audible click) and feels different than my 4 or 4S. It freaked me out a little at first but it feels solid and works great. I try not to run to the Apple Store (an hour away) unless something stops working. They have always taken great care of me (as does my local AT&T Store.

17. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I read a few horror stories of home buttons failing and it was a major expense to fix if the phone is out of warranty. I dunno. I checked a few out at the Apple store last Saturday and didn't notice the clicking. Maybe it's normal but my iPhone 4 just stared doing it. I did notice, however, that my wife's iPad 3 does have a noticeable click so now I'm not sure now.

18. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Yes it is annoying. I say that because when my iPhone 4 started doing it I noticed it immediately! Apply Fanboys are like that though -- we're kinda paranoid. :D

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I'm a fanboy, and my 4S did it and I still sold it for $400. I think you guys are all just trying to give your selves headaches for no reason. I never had an home button fail on me either. If you don't hear a click sound that means its too soft and it's gonna fail, you better get a replacement :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I laughed.

Yes sometimes we out think ourselves.