iPhone 5 Jailbreak

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I gotta say that I really miss the jailbreak tweaks. I typically don't upgrade within an iOS "level". I can easily wait for the functionality of simple updates (5.1, 5.1.1, etc.). However, when iOS 6 came out, there were enough upgrades within the OS that I wanted, so I was willing to give up my jailbreak tweaks for a time. I also upgraded to the iPhone 5, so I automatically upgraded to iOS 6.

Ultimately, I'd love the jailbreak to come out sooner as well. However, it will come out eventually. We all have to take a breath and realize that the devs that actually DO the jailbreak don't get paid! ANYTHING. Most people won't donate when they do a jailbreak. That could change if more people actually donated to these guys who are currently doing it for "fun" for the most part.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I gotta say that I really miss the jailbreak tweaks. I typically don't upgrade within an iOS "level". I can easily wait for the functionality of simple updates (5.1, 5.1.1, etc.). However, when iOS 6 came out, there were enough upgrades within the OS that I wanted, so I was willing to give up my jailbreak tweaks for a time. I also upgraded to the iPhone 5, so I automatically upgraded to iOS 6.

Ultimately, I'd love the jailbreak to come out sooner as well. However, it will come out eventually. We all have to take a breath and realize that the devs that actually DO the jailbreak don't get paid! ANYTHING. Most people won't donate when they do a jailbreak. That could change if more people actually donated to these guys who are currently doing it for "fun" for the most part.
They do get paid for the jailbreak tools. In addition to donations from users and other sources, they also get a portion of what's made in Cydia. Cydia paid 8 million to jailbreak developers last year.
http://www.cultofmac.com/193551/saurik-cydia-payed-8-million-to-jailbreak-developers-last-year-1-5-million-devices-use-the-app-every-day-jailbreakcon/

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
They do get paid for the jailbreak tools. In addition to donations from users and other sources, they also get a portion of what's made in Cydia. Cydia paid 8 million to jailbreak developers last year.
http://www.cultofmac.com/193551/saurik-cydia-payed-8-million-to-jailbreak-developers-last-year-1-5-million-devices-use-the-app-every-day-jailbreakcon/
I was speaking about the devs that actually develop the jailbreak...the devs that produce software after a jailbreak do get paid. The guys who figure out the exploits...not so much. (Yes, they may produce their own software and get paid that way, but I don't think they get paid for finding the jailbreak exploit.)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was speaking about the devs that actually develop the jailbreak...the devs that produce software after a jailbreak do get paid. The guys who figure out the exploits...not so much. (Yes, they may produce their own software and get paid that way, but I don't think they get paid for finding the jailbreak exploit.)
I know. That's who I was referring to when I said "jailbreak tools." Jailbreak tools are the jailbreaks themselves and apps and tweaks are what you buy in Cydia. The hackers who make the jailbreaks do get paid for making jailbreaks. In addition to donations, which I'm sure is quite a bit, part of that 8 million in Cydia profits went to them. I'm not saying they owe us anything. I'm just saying they aren't doing this for free.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I gotta say that I really miss the jailbreak tweaks.
I did too.

Alas, I could not bite the bullet on the iPhone 5 and finally succumbed to the dark side and snagged a brandy new Nexus 4 (one of the lucky ones who was able to order it and get it delivered). Yep, after well over 5 years with iPhone I am trying Android.

If you like jailbreaking then wholly crap this is nice! Within a day I installed the power control widget which is dang near like SBSettings.

I do miss the iOS ecosystem, and have not left it--since I have an iPad, macs, and ATVs--but the level of customization and whatnot is just blowing my mind (can you say builtin wifi/USB/bluetooth hotspot, without needing AT&T's approval? :)).

Michael

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I did too.

Alas, I could not bite the bullet on the iPhone 5 and finally succumbed to the dark side and snagged a brandy new Nexus 4 (one of the lucky ones who was able to order it and get it delivered). Yep, after well over 5 years with iPhone I am trying Android.

If you like jailbreaking then wholly crap this is nice! Within a day I installed the power control widget which is dang near like SBSettings.

I do miss the iOS ecosystem, and have not left it--since I have an iPad, macs, and ATVs--but the level of customization and whatnot is just blowing my mind (can you say builtin wifi/USB/bluetooth hotspot, without needing AT&T's approval? :)).

Michael

How do you handle all your music? This is tempting, to say the least. What about calendars? Go all to Google?

I'm not against Android, I just have NO idea how I'd have an Android phone and ieverything else (MBP, iMac, iPad, wife's iPhone 4S, kids' iPod Touch's). Just not sure how it would work overall.

LOVE the sound of it...don't see it working in my iOS Eco-life. ;)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
How do you handle all your music? This is tempting, to say the least. What about calendars? Go all to Google?

I'm not against Android, I just have NO idea how I'd have an Android phone and ieverything else (MBP, iMac, iPad, wife's iPhone 4S, kids' iPod Touch's). Just not sure how it would work overall.

LOVE the sound of it...don't see it working in my iOS Eco-life. ;)
Before it arrived I moved my contacts and calendars from iCloud to Google. Was fairly easy. Switched my iPad and macs over too. So within a few minutes of getting my Nexus 4 all my contacts and calendar were there.

I also had Google play music from when it came out, and frankly had forgotten about it. But it didn't forget about me: it had been dutifully uploading anything added to iTunes. So without doing anything all my music was available from the cloud. I would say it works as well as iTunes match that I was using on my 4S.

Thought I would miss photostream but I don't at all. All photos taken on my N4 are automatically uploaded to a private album on Google+, grouped by date. Much to my surprise, videos are uploaded as well. And oh-my-gawd it does not do the same with screenshots! It even stores them in a separate album. Pretty slick. (Hated that photostream saved screen-shots with no way to turn that off.)

Just about everything I jailbreak for I had without rooting. Tethering? You betcha. Wifi, USB, and bluetooth right out of the box. No AT&T plan needed.... or AT&T approval. BiteSMS-like text apps galore. Even WhatsApp, that I had used with some Android friends on my iPhone has that pop-up to reply feature on Android (highly customizable).

Loving that I can easily try new keyboards and have settled into swiftkey (it is amazing).

All that said I did root it too. It was available before the first batch of Nexus 4's even shipped. That was refreshing, but almost unnecessary.

About all I miss from the ecosystem is iMessage. But I'm getting over it. I had tried to still use it on my macs and iPad but if you don't have it on your phone it is just not worth the confusion. So when read receipts and send-just-about-anything is important I use whatsapp messenger. Works well but no mac or pc option.

-Michael