iPhone 5 keeps getting error -1

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Nickey293

Mar 13, 2013
new to the forums, so forgive me if I'm posting incorrect. I tried searching for a related topic, but couldn't find anything answering my question and I didn't want to hijack someone elses post for myself.

So a little background. I had a i5 on iOS 6.1 and j/b by evasion for a couple of months, everything was working fine up until the start of this week. I started getting this error that showed that I wasn't able to connect to my phone carrier at all (always showed that it was "searching..."). I called my carrier's tech support and we ran through their usual level 1 tech support and nothing worked. They recommended that I restore the phone to correct the problem. I thought okay, let me check if j/b still works on the latest version and it did. So I thought, what the heck...besides I need a phone that actually can make and receive calls and not an overpriced iPod.

So I backed up my contents on the computer then made sure that iTunes was updated to the latest version. I hit restore and all was going when until it got to near the end of the restore process. Then I was greeted with an "known error (-1)" and it told me that it couldn't proceed any further with the restore process. So now I'm stuck with a useless iPhone, because it's gives me the photo that tells me to plug the phone to iTunes.

I did some searching online to see if I can resolve the error. I tried pretty everything that I could find. Here's a list of everything I've tried so far:
- new/original cable
- different usb ports on different computers
- reinstalled iTunes
- download the restore file (did the shift-restore)
- put the phone in dfu before restore and shift-restore
- used tiny umbrella to make sure that the phone wasn't pointing to Cydia
- changed the host file to exclude/include the line that pointed to Apple servers

I can bring the phone back to Apple to get them to fix for me since it's still under warranty, but I'm worried that they can find out that my phone was jailbroken (since I wasn't able to restore to factory settings). I'm scared that they might reject me and blacklist my phone (if there is such a thing) from repairs/replacement.

Is there anything else that I'm missing that I can try or is there a more systemic way to approach trying to solve the problem? Or should I gamble with the Apple store?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Apple has that error listed as a possible hardware problem. It sounds like you've tried everything already. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar and Apple will replace it for free. Just don't mention that you had jailbroken it.

Nickey293

Mar 13, 2013
Apple has that error listed as a possible hardware problem. It sounds like you've tried everything already. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar and Apple will replace it for free. Just don't mention that you had jailbroken it.
Thanks Europa. Is it possible that they can find out that it was j/b before?