iPhone 5 not announced, what to do?

Punkrulz

Bronze
Sep 22, 2009
Hey guys,

Like many others I've been involved in the conundrum of what to do regarding upgrading my iPhone 3GS. I was able to upgrade at the cheapest rate back in February, but ultimately decided to hold off until iPhone 5.

Over the course of the past few weeks of doing research, I decided to wait and see what was going to be announced today. Unfortunately, tue iPhone 5 was not released as anticipated. Many different sources say different things about the release date... September, Fall, Early 2012, etc. Now we still don't know.

So, do I upgrade to the iPhone 4 now (is it worth the upgrade from 3GS? Battery life with 3GS is my biggest complaint right now), or keep waiting until the iPhone 5?

If I upgrade to iPhone 4, does anyone have a ballpark estimate of what I'll be able to sell it back to them for when upgrading to 5?

Thanks!

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
Just get the iPhone 4 and stop holding out you will still be eligible for an early upgrade so thereforee you will not have the pay the full price. Plus you will be able to sell your iPhone in a few months when the new one comes out for a decent penny.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
I never bothered with the 3GS. Went from the 3G to the 4 and I'm still loving the 4. The improved camera, front-facing camera with FaceTime and MUCH improved screen are probably the main selling points for the 4 fromt he 3GS.

I couldn't really say how much better the battery life is compared to the 3GS, but I'm getting pretty great battery life out of this. I even use it for both corporate and personal purposes. Now that I've gotten good at optimizing the battery life on this thing, it will easily last me two days or more of moderate to heavy use. I most recently put it on the charger with 41% of the battery left after 4 hours 16 minutes active usage and 1 day 16 hours on standby.

Just check out eBay right now for how the iPhone 4s are selling. I've never sold an old phone to pay for a new one, so I'm not necessarily counting on it this time either. However, I am thinking I'll be able to get close to $500 for my white iPhone 4 when the 5 comes. That will probably change with time, of course.

Syamil

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
Singapore
With Apple being excellent liars when it comes to due dates, you should probably get the white iPhone 4, as it would probably resell for a higher value than the black if there is no obvious discolouration. iOS 5 may be out, but not the next iPhone. So patience my friend, I suggest you put aside enough money for the next iPhone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think it's nearly 100% certain that the iPhone 5 announcement will come at the Apple Music event this fall, and be released a few weeks later. I don't think they can afford to wait any longer.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
With Apple being excellent liars when it comes to due dates, you should probably get the white iPhone 4, as it would probably resell for a higher value than the black if there is no obvious discolouration. iOS 5 may be out, but not the next iPhone. So patience my friend, I suggest you put aside enough money for the next iPhone.
I must have missed something. What makes Apple excellent liars concerning due dates?

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
^ I was wondering the same thing. As far as I know, Apple never promised that a new iPhone would come out every June.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I never thought the iPhone 5 (or whatever the name will be) would be announced today. They geared it quite heavily towards a software announcement.

If I were you, upgrade now, then even if you cant sell the iPhone 4 for enough to upgrade to the iPhone 5 early just be happy with the phone. Its a great phone.

IMO the iPhone 5 will be a similar leap from 3g > 3gs so you really wouldn't be loosing out on THAT much if you had to stick with the iPhone 4

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
Well, one instance certainly establishes a trend.
Actually, Steve himself lied on more than one instance regarding the release of this device. It actually was a trend, considering it got to the point that, when credible rumors resurfaced that the phone would be released in late April in accordance with Apple's "by spring" timeline, most people still didn't believe it.

Apple hasn't lied about the release of its next iPhone yet, mainly because Apple never bothers to say anything about anything until it's good and ready to. However, when Apple says things like "coming this fall," it's certainly very reminiscent of the "end of July," "end of next week," "later this year," "early next year," etc. timelines we kept hearing from Apple regarding this phone.

Even if this is the only example (though it contains many examples in itself), the white iPhone 4 fiasco just "ended" a little over a month ago. It's certainly still very fresh in my mind, and Apple hasn't done anything to restore my faith in its ability to release products in a timely fashion or according to Apple's own timeline.

avin7000

Bronze
Jun 7, 2011
I too was in same shoes, was tired of waiting. Just bought iPhone 4.

I am more than happy :)

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
iPhone 4 is an awesome piece, i don't know if a 4S or 5 will get me to jump ship, they would have to offer something amazing. I love the design of the iPhone 4 and i know for a fact if they go back to the round, i will not upgrade

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
The white iPhone 4.
I don't feel there was an intent to deceive. Unforeseen circumstances forced Apple to hold off or else sell an inferior product. Remember Antennagate? Well, this is the result. Apple decided to hold off until they could sell a product until they could feel okay with selling the white iPhone. You are free to call them liars all you want, but that is not the truth at all.

http://www.cultofmac.com/the-real-reason-white-iphone-4-is-delayed-hint-its-not-discolored-buttons/66224

dette

Bronze
Jan 8, 2009
I am in the same boat, I'm eligible for an upgrade from my 3GS and I would like to hop off of AT&T and go to Verizon, but I don't want to get the iPhone 4 and then have the 5 come out a couple months later and be disappointed I didn't wait. I don't know...

Magnolia89128

Mar 18, 2011
I would definitely hold out longer if your current phone isn't broken. You've come this far! The iPhone 4 is a huge improvement from the 3G/3GS but the iPhone 5 may be better! I'm sure if you held out with the 3G you would have chosen the 4 over the S any day! Wait until you have some options for your upgrade and you won't end up disappointed or stuck with a phone you don't want. If you DO choose to go for the iPhone 4 make sure you protect it like the Holy Grail if you want to get all of your money's worth in a resale.

Note: the front facing camera on the iPhone 4 is great but the quality is terrible. It's almost as if they did it on purpose to have a definite edge on the next phone. Just wait it out