iPhone 5 not till 2012?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
But I'm tired of the 3GS! ;)
This is one of the reasons I was hoping that the iPhone 5 would come out this Summer. My husband still has the 3GS and wasn't eligible to get the iPhone 4 until February 6, 2011. He and I thought it made better sense to just wait until the summer when we were sure the iPhone 5 would be out for him to upgrade, then he could upgrade with me. But alas, the writing is on the wall and it says, no go this summer wait until September.

I told him about how the rumors have heated up and it appears to be an inevitability that the iPhone 5 won't be out until September or later. He said he would wait, he's used to the 3GS and he can wait a little longer. What a reasonable man. If it were me IDK what I'd do.

Anthonyappos

Apr 14, 2011
Well guess they are giving iPhone owners time to enjoy their phone - other than just releasing back to back modals like other phone companies

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
My contract expired Sept 2012, so July/Aug 2012 would work for me. How many months in, on a 2 year (24 month) contract would I be avail for an upgrade? I recall seeing 18 months? I always thought it was 22 months.

Anthonyappos

Apr 14, 2011
Yeah u bet the prices are killing- here in Asia( indian) I paid 1000usd for t phone 3GS and the beat part is that iPhone 4 is still not launched - crazyyyyy

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Yeah u bet the prices are killing- here in Asia( indian) I paid 1000usd for t phone 3GS and the beat part is that iPhone 4 is still not launched - crazyyyyy
What?!?!?!?!?:002:upset
That is crazy! I hope you guys get it soon. I suppose all our complaining here is ridiculous to you. Dag on it man! Hopefully it's coming soon to you.

Mommy

Zealot
Gold
Feb 19, 2011
NY
My contract expired Sept 2012, so July/Aug 2012 would work for me. How many months in, on a 2 year (24 month) contract would I be avail for an upgrade? I recall seeing 18 months? I always thought it was 22 months.
If your verizon, they just told me they changed it now you can early upgrade at 20 months. Ughh all these phone companies are getting worse, I loved the 12 month upgrades!

Sent from my iPod touch using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
If your verizon, they just told me they changed it now you can early upgrade at 20 months. Ughh all these phone companies are getting worse, I loved the 12 month upgrades!

Uh, I have an iPhone 4. iPhone wasn't with Verizon 2 years ago. :D Btw, Verizon sux! :D

Mommy

Zealot
Gold
Feb 19, 2011
NY
Uh, I have an iPhone 4. iPhone wasn't with Verizon 2 years ago. :D Btw, Verizon sux! :D
Lol. I know. Yeah but I did the droids blackberries, LG's you name it. It was good to only do a year with the phones instead of 2 yrs.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Yup I left Verizon for the iPhone in 08 and I'm glad I never looked back. I have had enough of them. If they would have had the iPhone back then I know after the research I would have done I would have left anyway for AT&T because of the inability to talk and surf or send emails. That was one thing I couldn't stand about them.

I have GR8 service with AT&T in my home and town and at work. Sometimes there are headaches, I hope AT&T straightens out soon but I can tolerate them.

No service provider is perfect, but I'll stick to what I have now.

I'm happy for anyone on Verizon who wanted the iPhone and has a chance to get it now because I know how it feels not to have the phone. It is a phenomenal phone and everyone should have a chance at it without doing what I had to do so abruptly.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I called #639* on my iPhone and this is the text I got back. What does it mean? I wanted to know when my contract expires or when I can get a free upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Looks like you can get the upgrade with full discount on 12/4/11. They are offering you, if you don't have an iPhone now, I guess, a discounted upgrade at 2yr commitment price plus an additional $250 fee with a new 2year contract and an $18 fee. I think this is if you want to upgrade to the iPhone now instead of waiting for your full discount on 12/4/11.

AT&T sends out the same info. It's confusing.

2yr commitment price is probably a slight discount plus an additional $250 and possibly this won't equal the full retail price. So they are offering you some type of slight discount.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Looks like you can get the upgrade with full discount on 12/4/11. They are offering you, if you don't have an iPhone now, I guess, a discounted upgrade at 2yr commitment price plus an additional $250 fee with a new 2year contract and an $18 fee. I think this is if you want to upgrade to the iPhone now instead of waiting for your full discount on 12/4/11.

AT&T sends out the same info. It's confusing.

2yr commitment price is probably a slight discount plus an additional $250 and possibly this won't equal the full retail price. So they are offering you some type of slight discount.
You're right!

I called 611, AT&T, and after 12/04/11, I'm avail for a upgrade at the discounted price.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
mine says I am eligible 6/25/11, i am hoping IP5 will be out..............I have iPhone 4 now

Kgd0630

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 8, 2010
Anderson, SC

That's why I hated verizon! I had them for years and left 2 years ago for iPhone! 2 years ago, verizon upgraded at 20 months. Why are they lying with "they just changed"?!?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Punkrulz

Bronze
Sep 22, 2009
Unfortunately this news is a bit upsetting for me. I too was clear for an upgrade in February / 2011, and figured that I could just wait for the iPhone 5 to come out. I'm presently running a 3GS, and while it's only suffered minor wear and tear I would love to have an updated phone.

So here's my question to you guys: Should I continue to try and hold out as long as possible to wait for the iPhone 5, or should I upgrade to the iPhone 4 (AT&T) ASAP and start letting the time count down until the next upgrade? My luck though is that this source falls through and the iP5 gets released in like July lol.

Appleboy

Bronze
Jan 24, 2011
I would not want to live in any other country but the US for these good reasons. Love my iPhones

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I would not want to live in any other country but the US for these good reasons. Love my iPhones
I'm not sure that's completely true...
I lived in Portugal for 6 years, and the technology there was much more advanced than here in North America, especially the cell phone market. You had a much larger, and better selection of cell phones than here...albeit more expensive too.

engelke2010

Bronze
Mar 29, 2010
I'm fine with the 2012 release date, if the rumors are correct. I thought I would be eligible for full discount in December, which would be 18 months since I got the iPhone 4, but according to AT&T's website, it says 2/25/12