iPhone 5 or Samsung S4?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by EverythingApple, Dec 7, 2012.

1. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I'm kinda glad I didn't get the iPhone 5 yet. If I want one, I know I can now get one at the Apple store. But, I'm a little unhappy with the iOS. Since Jobs left us, it's just not the same. But, the projected Samsung S4 looks like it might put the iPhone 5 in jeopardy. Thoughts/Comments?

2. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Try it out, let us know.

Having never owned an Android device other than a Kindle Fire (which has a half baked, closed Andoid OS), so this is strictly my opinion. There is simply nothing about the other competitive devices that tempt me. I like having my computer, my phone and my tablet able to share everything seemlessly between them. I haven't found anything about the current (or frankly previous iOS iterations that bother me). In speaking with owners of Android phones who all bought them to try something different or to try to simulate/replicate the iPhone and the features, all started out happy and eneded up frustrated with memory leaks, eventual sluggishness, lack of available apps or features or difficulty accomplishing things that were native to the iOS devices. In my opinion it is too fragmented of an OS with too many variations on a theme made further complicated by all the different manufacturers on all the different hardware platforms. My experience with the Andoid Marketplace (their version of the app store) is even worse. Way too much crap to wade through and only a fraction of the apps available on Android that I had previously on iOS devices when I went to look.

Again, for me, I'm not looking for something that I can tweak and I don't want to deal with problems. I don't Jailbreak my devices. I don't want to have to worry about getting apps and media more than once and worry about getting it on to whatever platform I might be taking with me at the time on a trip, a vacation or for work. I don't want to have to worry about access to things when I get there or where to look for something that I may have on a particular device. With iOS, my iPhone and iPad I always have what I need with me and there is very little effort required on my part to have it that way. Knowing that I can always get at my stuff from any place I can get to the cloud or to iTunes makes it simple.

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I have had the entire Samsung Galaxy Line of devices

The Galaxy S
    The Galaxy S2
    The Galaxy S3

Each device has gotten better and I assume the S4 will follow that trend however

My recent beef with Samsung is in the amount of crapware they pile into every device, the butt ugly branding (do I really need to read SAMSUNG plastered on the front of my screen) and the gimmicky apps / features they load up on..

The amount of time it takes for updates is also a bit disappointing and while the carriers share some of that blame, Samsung plays its part..

I will probably get an S4 because I am a techno ho but I never end up keeping Samsung devices because they just don't work for my needs and wants..

Huh?

Jobs made just as many goof ups and mistakes so I am lost over this comment..

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Having used the s3 for over a month I can say Samsung will never create a phone that will put Apple in jeopardy. Ever.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Ok I'll give my two cents; I recently went from an iPhone 5 to a GS3. As much as I loved the GS3, I finally realized something important to me. When I am on a mobile device such as a phone, I don't want to have to worry about complexity, I want my device to be simple and just work. Sadly that caused me to reactivate my faithful iPhone 5. Now I have a brand new White GS3 used for 1 week for sale lol

6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Found this and could not resist!

The iPhone 20 and the Galaxy S23

ImageUploadedByiCafe1354903625.930637.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. nikkisixx102

nikkisixx102 Android Killer
    Bronze

I haven't been on here in a long time, but these responses make me happy :)

8. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I hear that same thing every year.., from every phone maker.. This year we GOT EM. :) This one is the iPhone killer. We're comparing Apples to Applesauce. No Pun intended. We're comparing a phone to something we have not see, it's just speculation.

I think competition makes each manufacturer better. It keeps them honest and looking for more.
    No jeopardy..., Just competition.

9. EverythingApple

Gold

So white or black iPhone 5? 32 or 64GB? My iPhone 4 32GB has 20GB free. I usually get the largest, but do I really need it?

10. nikkisixx102

Bronze

No, you definitely don't need it, unless you plan on putting 20+ more movies on your 5.

I'd go with 32gb. I have a white one and I think white is always the best looking. It an Apple product after all :) that's preference though. In a marriage, I could see the man getting black and woman getting white so there is no confusion when it's laying around. :)
    Hope that helps!

11. EverythingApple

Gold

Do you put a case on yours? My iPhone 4 is LifeProof'd. Thinking about one for the 5.

Did you get AppleCare+ for yours? Or something or nothing else?

12. nikkisixx102

Bronze

Lifeproof is a great case, but they didn't have them when the 5 was released! I don't know how bulky it is, but you will love how thin and substantial the naked iPhone 5 feels :) yum!

I ordered one of these when they first came out and it was free+shipping. I'm guessing they are trying to get their name out there? Anyways, there's a promo until Sunday for .99 cents + shipping. I really like my case because it doesn't add much to the size of the phone and the material is a rubber that doesn't get stuck as you put it into your pocket. Although, lifeproof has the plus of water resistance! I didn't order AppleCare bc I usually upgrade when the new model releases :)

http://www.******.com/iphone-5-social-pro-cases/

13. EverythingApple

Gold

You can post the website. It's not against the forum rules. I'm curious where you got the case.

14. nikkisixx102

Bronze

Whoops! I guess the forums put the xxxxx.

The brand is called ******. I had never heard of them before, but I learned about them here on the forums. Other members were ordering their free cases. The promo code is on their page for the iPhone 5 case. Here it is anyways: 99special. It's worth the 6$ or whatever it comes out to be.

15. EverythingApple

Gold

It did it again. It must be a restricted word. Either post it with spaces between the letters or see your PM's. Thanks.

16. nikkisixx102

Bronze

Zoo gue. Damn lol one word though. I guess it's restricted bc they're not a registered product maker? Idk, but I had NO problems with them. Emailed the owner thanking him and he seemed to be a nice guy.

17. EverythingApple

Gold

Thanks. It's $14.99 normally but the $.99 special until Dec. 9th.

18. nikkisixx102

Bronze

Np! I think you will really enjoy the iPhone 5. The LTE alone is worth the upgrade. I haven't had any problems and I use my phone for most of the day. I see people getting the note and days later they're still making jokes that they can't figure out how to make a call. Clean designs and interfaces is what makes Apple, Apple. :). Let us know if you get one or wait for the s4! Wanna know what you think about either.

19. EverythingApple

Gold

I'm gonna end up getting the iPhone 5. I haven't had a non-Apple phone since the Motorola Q. And, I don't think I'll ever have anything other than an iPhone. I'll get AppleCare+, as I only upgrade every two years. I'll report back after the purchase is made.