iPhone 5 paint chipping

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by chris, Mar 12, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I remember this was a big thing when the iPhone 5 first came out. I always have a case on my iPhone 5, but it does get moved around between different cases. I haven't seen any signs of chipping and I've got the supposedly more prone to chipping black/slate iPhone 5.

Have you seen any chipping? Is this FUD or a real issue?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

It is very hard to say if its a real issue or not. I have a feeling that if it is happening, then it's happening to people that do not use cases at all. I have always had a case on my iPhone 5. I take it off every now and then to clean the case of dirt, but I have never had any paint chipping issues with any iPhone.

I have the black/slate iPhone 5. If it's happening to the white iPhones, nonetheless it's something that should be addressed and properly handled with Apple. You should be able to get this fixed for free if you notice it.

Sent using iCafe app

3. arod2009

arod2009 New Member

2 words for you..... Life Proof..... Knot one on mine and been happy

Sent using iCafe app

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've had the LifeProof on my iPhone. Even went swimming with it.:D

#4 chris, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  5. arod2009

arod2009 New Member

Nice I got the flat dark earth

Sent using iCafe app

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I have a lot of friends with the iPhone, but I've never seen any signs of chipping at all. Either way, you should always have a case on your iPhone. I feel safer with it

I don't even know what to say after watching you fall backwards into the water full body with the iPhone in hand. Were you worried it'd mess up the iPhone? I've never had a waterproof case. Maybe I should get one. I think Otterbox came out with one, but I don't know which one would be right.

Sent using iCafe app

#6 MoneyMaker79, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  7. arod2009

arod2009 New Member

I don't even know what to say after watching you fall backwards into the water full body with the iPhone in hand. Were you worried it'd mess up the iPhone? I've never had a waterproof case. Maybe I should get one. I think Otterbox came out with one, but I don't know which one would be right.

Life proof the otterbox is the armor and feels like having a brick in your hand the lifeproof is thin waterproof and lightweight hardly feels like you have a case on your phone

Sent using iCafe app[/quote]

Sent using iCafe app

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Sent using iCafe app[/quote]

Perhaps I'll get a life proof case sometime to try it out. Back to the topic of paint chipping, I sure do hope Apple or an authorized reseller fixes this issue for the people it's happening to.

Sent using iCafe app

9. arod2009

arod2009 New Member

I would just get a case for it to cover it up until it croaks

Sent using iCafe app

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Depending on how bad it is, I would then decide on getting it fixed or not. If it's minor, then it's really not worth the trouble, unless it gets worse.

Sent using iCafe app

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Oh yeah. I was plenty worried. If I weren't in the businesss of reviewing cases, there is no way I would have done it.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Whenever I go to an Apple Store, I take a look at the charging ports of some of the display iPhones. These phones are constantly being taken on an off the chargers by patrons and they certainly aren't babied. Many of the ones I've looked at had some degree of scratches present. They are more evident on the black iPhones, but you can still see faint scratches near the ports of the white iPhone. I can't see any scratches on mine, but I treat it with more care than people treat display models.

13. arod2009

arod2009 New Member

I baby my phone

Sent using iPhone 5 32Gb/Lifeproof Case

14. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I've had an OtterBox Defender on my iPhone 5 since day one. On occasion, I do go "naked" when going somewhere fancy, maybe once a month. So far no scratches, chips, dents or dings. The same was true of my iPhone 4 and 4S. Both went to family when I was done with them and they were in pristine condition when handed down.

15. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

I think that the whole thing was blown out of proportions. I do believe that a few people experience this I'm sure not naive. But like the whole suppose iPhone antenna issues I think that it was just blown out of proportions.

16. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

No scratches yet, knocking on wood, but I baby the heck out of it. I have had a screen protector and case on it since day one. Same with my wife's. After 2 years my iPhone 4 was flawless when I sold it and plan on the same for my 5.