iPhone 5 Power Button not working

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Target, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Odd thing I'm starting to notice, my power button on my iPhone 5 isn't working. It's intermittent but failing more as days progress. I started noticing it after iOS 7, but not convinced it is software related. Any thoughts?

Target

Sent using iCafe app on iPad 2

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Can you feel and hear the button "click" every time you press it? Do you have a bulky case like an Otterbox Defender on the phone? My wife's 4S has a Defender on it and also seems like it takes a much harder press to activate the power button than when her phone is "naked". Last resort, if the phone is still under warrantee, take it to an Apple store.

Sent using iPhone 5

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

It's hardware, take it to Apple or if you are feeling lucky, buy a button on amazon and replace it, it really is not hard to do. Let us know what happens.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Is one side of the button more reliable than the other? I had a replacement iPhone 5 that was like that.

5. Grayburn

Grayburn Member
    Bronze

It's hardware, I had this problem and booked a Genius appointment and got it swapped over. The replacement was in better condition then my original 5 was out of the box. Plenty of people in there with the same problem.

Sent using iCafe app

6. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

I have this problem too with my iPhone 5 but alas I'm out of warranty so I cannot go to Apple for a replacement. It appears this is happening to a lot of iPhone 5's. However I've found a neat little workaround until I can upgrade in a few months. It's not a perfect solution but it does allow me to lock the screen thus putting it into standby. Go to General > accessibility > assistive touch and switch it to on. You will notice a white translucent button appearing on your screen. You can use this to tap it and then tap "device" and the "lock screen". The only problem with this is that you will have to move the white button around your screen out of the way depending on what you are doing on your screen. I have gotten used to moving it around and it will work well until I can upgrade. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using

#6 lancer_325, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  7. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Yes. The left side.

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

8. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks for this. My daughter (and most of her friends) likes this feature for what ever reason. She actually suggested that too.

#8 Target, Oct 28, 2013
  9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's exactly what made Apple replace my 5.

10. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Glad to help.

Sent from my iPhone using

#10 lancer_325, Oct 29, 2013
  11. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I appreciate all of you. I really wish you had a magical reboot or something. I'm nowhere close to an Apple store. And I just my iPhone back to working as before after the iOS 7 upgrade.

12. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Yep. That's what I do too.

Target

Sent using iCafe app on iPad 2

#12 Target, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would get it replaced before the warranty expires because it will decrease the resale value. When did you buy it and do you have Apple Care+? You don't have to drive to an Apple Store. Apple will ship you a new one. Two-day shipping is free if you have Apple Care+. Otherwise, you'll have to pay $29, but you'd probably spend that much on gas driving to an Apple Store anyway. You then return the defective one with a prepaid shipping label in the same box. They will put a hold on your credit card until they receive it, but they are very fast with removing it.

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

If out of warranty, here's a video showing how to replace it yourself

15. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks for the advice. I know I can look it up, but do you know off the top of your head what the warranty is?

16. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

They make it look so easy. Thank you for sharing. For me it's the power button however.

17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Oh ok, power button is more complicated, I replaced my old iPhone 5 mainly to preserve my jailbreak (I would have had to restore to an unjailbreakable version of iOS if taking it to Apple for replacement) I do not recommend that fix by an inexperienced person.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

AppleCare is one year and it's free with all new iPhones. AppleCare+ is $99 and it extends the manufacturer's warranty to two years and has additional benefits. You can find your warranty information online if you don't remember when you bought it or if you purchased AppleCare+.
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

19. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Thank you once again. I do remember when I purchased it. I just didn't realize AppleCare was free the first year. I've got some time before my year is up.

Question is will they have the Black 5?

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, they will almost certainly have iPhone 5 refurbs. They would have to give you a 5s if they didn't have any, but the odds of that are slim to none this early after stopping production.