iPhone 5 Power Button not working

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Yeah, they will almost certainly have iPhone 5 refurbs. They would have to give you a 5s if they didn't have any, but the odds of that are slim to none this early after stopping production.
So I should wait a while huh?

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So I should wait a while huh?
No. Your warranty will run out long before they run out of stock. They'll probably have iPhone 5 refurbs for a couple years.
Should I argue: "I bought new, I want new?"
No, that won't work. They replace them with the same model that was purchased.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Are the refurb iPhones good? Outside if my power button, mine is flawless.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
As Paul Harvey used to say..."now the rest of the story."

Power button completely stopped working. Due to some very sad circumstances, I ended up in Columbus. Set a Genius Bar appointment, told them what was happening. Ended up with a brand new 5. No refurb.

Only lost one app in the restore. I guess it was an old one not in the App Store any longer. Hated that too. It tracked my gym data. I don't know why iCloud didn't keep it backed up.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
Should I argue: "I bought new, I want new?"

But like a car once you are out of the store it's now use and no longer new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL

Power button completely stopped working. Due to some very sad circumstances, I ended up in Columbus. Set a Genius Bar appointment, told them what was happening. Ended up with a brand new 5. No refurb.

Only lost one app in the restore. I guess it was an old one not in the App Store any longer. Hated that too. It tracked my gym data. I don't know why iCloud didn't keep it backed up.

Why can't you download that lost app again? It should be in your purchased list.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

iCloud requires that they still be in the App Store. This is one reason it is still necessary to occasionally sync with a computer. You can sync it to the phone from your computer if the app is in your iTunes library.
Why can't you download that lost app again? It should be in your purchased list.
They won't show up in that list if they have been pulled from the App Store.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
iCloud requires that they still be in the App Store. This is one reason it is still necessary to occasionally sync with a computer. You can sync it to the phone from your computer if the app is in your iTunes library.

They won't show up in that list if they have been pulled from the App Store.
Yep. So was one like that? I've had a couple those too.

Sent using iCafe app

My power button hasn't worked in about 6 months, but I don't want to take it in to Apple because I'll lose my JB. I use Activator to allow me to triple tap the Home button to emulate pressing the Power/Sleep button. I may spend the $65 to have iResq replace it after the holidays though.

Grayburn

Bronze
Sep 23, 2010
London, UK
My power button hasn't worked in about 6 months, but I don't want to take it in to Apple because I'll lose my JB. I use Activator to allow me to triple tap the Home button to emulate pressing the Power/Sleep button. I may spend the $65 to have iResq replace it after the holidays though.
Why cant you just Jailbreak again?

Why can't you just Jailbreak again?
My post was written before the latest JB was available. I guess that I could take it to Apple now and see if they'll fix it for free under warranty, but the nearest store is 5 hours away. I think I'll look into sending it off to them for a fix.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My post was written before the latest JB was available. I guess that I could take it to Apple now and see if they'll fix it for free under warranty, but the nearest store is 5 hours away. I think I'll look into sending it off to them for a fix.
Just an FYI: Apple waives the $29 two-day shipping charge for those who get AppleCare+. This makes Apple Care+ a particularly good idea for anyone who doesn't live near an Apple Store. You get a new phone two days after you call them, print the return label and then just send the old one in the box that the replacement arrived in.