iPhone 5 Rant & Rave

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
[off topic]
I quit using Facebook a while a ago.. Now I use Twitter and Tweetbot!

I keep Facebook around kind of... I auto post to Facebook from Twitter and I check Facebook every so often... I gave up on FB because of the crap app and because all FB is these days is Farmville and people posting photos of their lunch... [/ off topic]

I honestly have no complaints at all with the iPhone 5 or iOS6.. It's a very nice and gorgeous device and it's hands down the fastest and snappiest device I have ever owned..

My only MINOR gripe is the headphone jack at the bottom but if that is all I have to complain about then I'd say Apple hit a home run...

My .02
I love the ip5 and iOS 6 just a shame Facebook don't make a app that would show the full potential of ios6, but I'm with u on the fb crap app I only use it to check family and friends as it has become a shite place...I prefer I cafe and google+ even Instagram and twitter.. I get what you mean with the headphone jack but after using for a month now I kind of like it as the top of the phone is clean with just the power button...

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
Honestly, my only complaint with it is that it's too fast and nice to use, and I'm on it all the time again anymore.

agreed.

after spending the last year alternating weekly between my ip4s and a galaxy IIs skyrocket, I was honestly ready to be disappointed in the ip5.
i bought a black one but returned it 2 days later because of the scratching issues (coloration on the band) and then waited 3 weeks for my white one.

i love this phone.
its size.. its speed... everything.
i wish i had more crap to do on my phone because i love being on it.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
agreed.

after spending the last year alternating weekly between my ip4s and a galaxy IIs skyrocket, I was honestly ready to be disappointed in the ip5.
i bought a black one but returned it 2 days later because of the scratching issues (coloration on the band) and then waited 3 weeks for my white one.

i love this phone.
its size.. its speed... everything.
i wish i had more crap to do on my phone because i love being on it.

Agreed....I have S2 skyrocket for work and used to go between that and 4S........but after I got my IP5 White....she is all I use. So happy.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
FB works for some but I am SO over Facebook. Same crap, everyone "LIKES" this and "LIKES" that so you have to scroll through all that garbage. The privacy settings are so tricky that I've given up. I give them another five years and then they'll be just like myspace.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
FB works for some but I am SO over Facebook. Same crap, everyone "LIKES" this and "LIKES" that so you have to scroll through all that garbage. The privacy settings are so tricky that I've given up. I give them another five years and then they'll be just like myspace.
Yeah. I'm getting really tired of Samsung and Walmart "like" ads.

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
I went from a 4 to a 5. The phone is fine, and represents an incremental change: it's a bit faster, and of course has a larger screen. Still I cannot escape the sense that this phone was rushed: Apple maps is poor (I told Siri to take me from the center of Ridgefield CT to the White Plains NY RR station about 30 miles away and it took me to an open field in a residential neighborhood - in White Plains, at least; it also refuses to recognize the very existence of some towns); Passbook is a joke of little or no use, poorly conceived in my opinion; and the screen sometimes seems as if it was coated with a misty film, something that in a minute or two goes away. I don't think this is a truly fine-tuned product.

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
I went from a 4 to a 5. The phone is fine, and represents an incremental change: it's a bit faster, and of course has a larger screen. Still I cannot escape the sense that this phone was rushed: Apple maps is poor (I told Siri to take me from the center of Ridgefield CT to the White Plains NY RR station about 30 miles away and it took me to an open field in a residential neighborhood - in White Plains, at least; it also refuses to recognize the very existence of some towns); Passbook is a joke of little or no use, poorly conceived in my opinion; and the screen sometimes seems as if it was coated with a misty film, something that in a minute or two goes away. I don't think this is a truly fine-tuned product.
I would tend to agree with you with the caveat that the points you made are really about iOS 6. I would not say that the phone feels rushed at all as I think it is a solid piece of hardware.

iOS 6 absolutely feels rushed to me!

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Anyone having issues with YouTube .... Mine randomly stops at times.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app
Stay away from the App Store version. Stick w/the mobile safari version or web app.

I've never has a problem w/ the web app version, it works like a charm.

The YouTube app needs some work before it can be called reliable

dokken2007

Bronze
Jun 25, 2010
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Stay away from the App Store version. Stick w/the mobile safari version or web app.

I've never has a problem w/ the web app version, it works like a charm.

The YouTube app needs some work before it can be called reliable
Thanks for the advice. I've tried YouTube not through the App Store and it works fine other than it won't go landscape mode.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The creator of Alien Blue also has a YouTube app that is pretty nice called Jasmine. It's free.

ednygma

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 9, 2009
Louisville, KY
Sharunda I have an appt at the Genius Bar tonight to have them look at mine. I have the hissing sound as well. I have recorded several vids in my office just sitting or standing still without making any noise and have the hissing/static in replay. Hoping for a good solution tonight.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Sharunda I have an appt at the Genius Bar tonight to have them look at mine. I have the hissing sound as well. I have recorded several vids in my office just sitting or standing still without making any noise and have the hissing/static in replay. Hoping for a good solution tonight.
ednygma I hope they switch the iPhone out for you. I think this has a lot to do with the additional Mic's. The photographer at my job has the iPhone 4 and he believes the Mic's that Apple is using this go around is the problem but he said that my swap out sounded better than my co-workers iPhone 5. We took video together to compare and mine sounded a little better. The guy with the iPhone 4's videos sound crisp as did my husbands with the iPhone 4S.

This hissing is still there just less. I want it completely gone, but this being my fourth swap, I think this is the way video sounds on the iPhone 5. Unless there's a software fix they can give us.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I'm not understanding this. Out of four, you've had three perfect ones. But they couldn't have been perfect or you wouldn't have had to exchange them. Right? ;)
Hondamaker

WOW! I didn't even see this comment. Huh! :rolleyes: ROFLMFAO! Um, yeah, that statement was in reply to post #370 in this thread: http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/it-balms-my-hide.82682/page-19#post-982264 where my post was in reply to Europa and TattooedAlex who were talking about how many iPhone5's were scratched and returned iPhone 5's because of lots of issues, so in my statement "So out of four iPhone 5s I have had three absolutely perfect ones.", I meant that they were perfect in that they had no scratches. Not in that they were absolutely bug free.

I copied that post and pasted it in this thread as it had relevance to the problems of my iPhone.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Hondamaker

WOW! I didn't even see this comment. Huh! :rolleyes: ROFLMFAO! Um, yeah, that statement was in reply to post #370 in this thread: http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/it-balms-my-hide.82682/page-19#post-982264 where my post was in reply to Europa and TattooedAlex who were talking about how many iPhone5's were scratched and returned iPhone 5's because of lots of issues, so in my statement "So out of four iPhone 5s I have had three absolutely perfect ones.", I meant that they were perfect in that they had no scratches. Not in that they were absolutely bug free.

I copied that post and pasted it in this thread as it had relevance to the problems of my iPhone.
Lol. Now it makes more sense!

Aug 23, 2012
I am on my 2nd iPhone 5 and continue to get more frustrated. I got my new phone on the 5th after upgrading from a 3GS. Everything worked fine for the first 10 days or so and then it quit accessing the internet using the cellular data network. Contacted AT&T by chat (gotta make it look like I'm actually working) after over an hour she finally told me to reset and restore when I got home. Did that and still was unable to access the data network. Tried another chat the next day and was told to return the phone to place of purchase for an exchange. Didn't think this was the right way to go. Tried another chat and this guy told me to call Apple tech support. The Apple tech told me to take the phone to an AT&T store to get a new Sim card. He also gave me a case number and said to go to the Apple store for an exchange if the new Sim card didn't fix the problem. They replaced the Sim card but still could not access the data network. Still not up when I got to the office. A couple of hours later parts of my access returns. I was getting emails to download, iMessage was working again and the apps that I tested were working with the exception of my Square credit card app. Decided to visit the Apple store. At the Genius bar the tech was able to get that app working and I went home happy. This was on Wednesday. Thursday the phone worked off and on. I called AT&T and after she had me try various things she hooked me up with an Apple tech and when he couldn't get it to work I scheduled a visit to the Genius bar. After waiting 15 minutes past my scheduled time the tech took out my Sim card but it in a known working phone and went and got me phone # 2. This was on Friday it was still working when I went and tried to use it to charge a credit card sale and it couldn't connect to the internet. I have also had popups say that I am not subscribed to a data plan. The nightmare continues. I have had a lot of finger pointing between AT&T and Apple with both stating it was the other's problem. Looks like more phone calls on Monday. I still don't get why emails, my weather app, iMessage and other apps will work and then don't.

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
I am on my 2nd iPhone 5 and continue to get more frustrated. I got my new phone on the 5th after upgrading from a 3GS. Everything worked fine for the first 10 days or so and then it quit accessing the internet using the cellular data network. Contacted AT&T by chat (gotta make it look like I'm actually working) after over an hour she finally told me to reset and restore when I got home. Did that and still was unable to access the data network. Tried another chat the next day and was told to return the phone to place of purchase for an exchange. Didn't think this was the right way to go. Tried another chat and this guy told me to call Apple tech support. The Apple tech told me to take the phone to an AT&T store to get a new Sim card. He also gave me a case number and said to go to the Apple store for an exchange if the new Sim card didn't fix the problem. They replaced the Sim card but still could not access the data network. Still not up when I got to the office. A couple of hours later parts of my access returns. I was getting emails to download, iMessage was working again and the apps that I tested were working with the exception of my Square credit card app. Decided to visit the Apple store. At the Genius bar the tech was able to get that app working and I went home happy. This was on Wednesday. Thursday the phone worked off and on. I called AT&T and after she had me try various things she hooked me up with an Apple tech and when he couldn't get it to work I scheduled a visit to the Genius bar. After waiting 15 minutes past my scheduled time the tech took out my Sim card but it in a known working phone and went and got me phone # 2. This was on Friday it was still working when I went and tried to use it to charge a credit card sale and it couldn't connect to the internet. I have also had popups say that I am not subscribed to a data plan. The nightmare continues. I have had a lot of finger pointing between AT&T and Apple with both stating it was the other's problem. Looks like more phone calls on Monday. I still don't get why emails, my weather app, iMessage and other apps will work and then don't.
I'm in UK had same kind of problems with my ip5 but my network just gave me a new phone and all is well,if I was u I would demand a new phone or cancel my contract and start again.. I tell u what we have less trouble in UK with getting things fixed from our network providers I've had problems with other devices and they just send a new one out.