iPhone 5 restarting?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
Sorry, title should have been iPhone 5s

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these "mini-restarts" as I'll call them. On a couple of occaisions, I've picked up my new iPhone 5s, powered it on, selected an app icon and it brings up the app and then goes black, next the Apple logo appears and then back to the lock screen. Not sure if it is actually restarting (it is all really fast) but I'm not sure what else to call it. One happened in the contacts app and once with Safari.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's a respring. It's a little faster than a reboot. It's typically a jailbreak feature, but it can happen on stock phones. Trying to open Newsstand from within a folder on iOS 6 would cause one since a workaround had to be used to get it in there in the first place.

I haven't experienced it on my iPhone 5S. A software update will likely fix it. If it happens a lot you could restore, but I wouldn't worry about it unless it's frequent. Try a hard reset now and then reboot once a day and see if that helps.

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
Thanks everyone for the replies. I picked up the phone at Best Buy on Saturday night. It is a start from scratch move from a 5 to a 5s. I updated contacts, etc. from iCloud. I did not restore from backup. I updated to 7.0.1 on Sunday morning and it did it once prior to the update and once after. It happens very fast so the inconvenience factor is very low but I was just caught off guard by it and wanted to ask the experts here. I'd never seen anything like it. It really isn't like a power down restart, much faster.