iPhone 5 restarting?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by talon90, Sep 23, 2013.

1. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Sorry, title should have been iPhone 5s

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these "mini-restarts" as I'll call them. On a couple of occaisions, I've picked up my new iPhone 5s, powered it on, selected an app icon and it brings up the app and then goes black, next the Apple logo appears and then back to the lock screen. Not sure if it is actually restarting (it is all really fast) but I'm not sure what else to call it. One happened in the contacts app and once with Safari.

#1 talon90, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

For clarification is it actually restarting, or going into safe mode?

Sent using iCafe app

3. Muckcityjustin

Gold

I had this happen often while on io7 betas. Did you update to 7.0.1? Haven't had it happen on my 5s at all though. I would try a restore maybe? If it persists make a genius appointment to have them look at it and possibly replace.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's a respring. It's a little faster than a reboot. It's typically a jailbreak feature, but it can happen on stock phones. Trying to open Newsstand from within a folder on iOS 6 would cause one since a workaround had to be used to get it in there in the first place.

I haven't experienced it on my iPhone 5S. A software update will likely fix it. If it happens a lot you could restore, but I wouldn't worry about it unless it's frequent. Try a hard reset now and then reboot once a day and see if that helps.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Safe mode is a safety feature that's exclusive to jailbroken iPhones. They are stock. This is just a respring.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I honestly did not know that. I learned something today! Hehe.

Sent using iCafe app

7. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks everyone for the replies. I picked up the phone at Best Buy on Saturday night. It is a start from scratch move from a 5 to a 5s. I updated contacts, etc. from iCloud. I did not restore from backup. I updated to 7.0.1 on Sunday morning and it did it once prior to the update and once after. It happens very fast so the inconvenience factor is very low but I was just caught off guard by it and wanted to ask the experts here. I'd never seen anything like it. It really isn't like a power down restart, much faster.