iPhone 5... Rumor or fact?

DarkLunacy469

Bronze
Jun 21, 2011
I am sure there will be a new product that Apple adds to the iDevice line, but... so soon? And just for an update that will be supported by (from what I hear) legacy iDevices (not all). I guess my question is with all this pandemonium over the iOS 5, which is just a software update, is it possible that everyone just assumes that there will be a physical change to the hardware evoking the release of yet another iPhone(not complaining lol)? It is just hard for me to think that Apple would just push out a iDevice just because they could. That doesn't sound like them at all. Any opinions, thoughts, or even proof in regards to this topic?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
This particular forum is full of iPhone 5 conjecture already. Did you read any of them? Lots of theories.

I'm not going to close the thread, but please peruse the iPhone 5 forum before starting any more new threads on topics that are already covered. Thanks.

DarkLunacy469

Bronze
Jun 21, 2011
How about posting some thread links so I can find some answers instead of posting things like that... This discourages people from posting and I don't get the answers I am looking for. Please don't be counter productive in my search for answers. Thanks for keeping it open btw.

moonfish

Bronze
Feb 17, 2011
How about posting some thread links so I can find some answers instead of posting things like that... This discourages people from posting and I don't get the answers I am looking for. Please don't be counter productive in my search for answers. Thanks for keeping it open btw.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Who's being counterproductive? Just take a look at the iPhone 5 thread. It's full of conjecture:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/forums/iphone-5/

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
To the OP, there are many of us here, like myself, who are still using a Gs or older. We eagerly await the news of new hardware. I've been eligible for a fully subsidized phone upgrade since November. While my phone does works quite well, I'm just as anxious as others and believe that the new hardware will better support some of the promised new features of iOS 5.

YMMV

Robbinhoodz25

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011

:O oh no he didn't *snaps finger*
Jk

And do I like what I do...? hahaha...HELL YA!

DarkLunacy469

Bronze
Jun 21, 2011
To the OP, there are many of us here, like myself, who are still using a Gs or older. We eagerly await the news of new hardware. I've been eligible for a fully subsidized phone upgrade since November. While my phone does works quite well, I'm just as anxious as others and believe that the new hardware will better support some of the promised new features of iOS 5.

YMMV
I feel for you... You are a whole lot more patient than I. I would have upgraded a long time ago... Kudos to you! BUT... Do you really think that mediocre hardware changes/upgrades are necessary to better support a software update that functions great on current nextgen iDevices as to put out a whole new phone? Don't you think that will deviate from their track record of new technology versus iDevice releases?

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
There's been a new iPhone every year and all evidence suggest there will be another one this year, most likely September.

DarkLunacy469

Bronze
Jun 21, 2011
It's official, iPhone 5 will be a disappointment...

What more can they make it do?

Suggestion:

Close this dumb ass thread, I'm sorry I even made it...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I feel for you... You are a whole lot more patient than I. I would have upgraded a long time ago... Kudos to you! BUT... Do you really think that mediocre hardware changes/upgrades are necessary to better support a software update that functions great on current nextgen iDevices as to put out a whole new phone? Don't you think that will deviate from their track record of new technology versus iDevice releases?
I think you misunderstand the iPhone and it's current release pattern.
While this phone is technically late in it's arrival, it's coming none the less. As far as mediocre hardware changes... I don't understand where you would get that. The ONLY phone model that would have been considered a mediocre upgrade to the previous version was going from the original iPhone to the 3G. There wasn't a big hardware upgrade at all, just a design change. But since then, the 3GS and the iPhone 4 have both been a major leap from previous versions. it might not be the hardware your hoping for, but when compared to the previous versions, it is definitely a big step up in performance, and there is generally a new piece of hardware to go along with it.
No one knows what the next iPhone will look like or what the hardware specs will be, but I can assure you that it will make the iPhone 4 look old and the 3gs absolutely ancient.
As far as the software release coming out at the same time, it just makes sense to release your next big version of iOS with your next big product. It might only be announced at the iPhone's debut, and not get released until the next iPad comes out, or it might be available the day of the announcement, but either way, again, it makes sense to announce the next version of iOS with the flagship product it started with .
Even if Apple didn't release an iPhone next year, they would still have a new version of iOS. They have to stay ahead of the competition. That being said, that's why there is a new phone every year as well.
They might not jump on the 4G bandwagon past the "enhanced version of 3G" that AT&T and T-Mobile have been calling 4G, but they aren't going to introduce a LTE phone until they can make sure that battery life will not be affected, and that there is a strong enough network in place to support it.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I think some people count cosmetic changes as "major upgrades." Apple could put a quad core processor in there, but if the externals looked about the same, it wouldn't count. Folks love changes they can see; everything else is invisible to them.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I am sure there will be a new product that Apple adds to the iDevice line, but... so soon? And just for an update that will be supported by (from what I hear) legacy iDevices (not all). I guess my question is with all this pandemonium over the iOS 5, which is just a software update, is it possible that everyone just assumes that there will be a physical change to the hardware evoking the release of yet another iPhone(not complaining lol)? It is just hard for me to think that Apple would just push out a iDevice just because they could. That doesn't sound like them at all. Any opinions, thoughts, or even proof in regards to this topic?
It's official, iPhone 5 will be a disappointment...
What more can they make it do?
This doesn't sound like them at all? Apple has released a new iPod every fall since the first model was released in 2001. They've also released a new iPhone every year summer since the first 2G iPhone in 2007. The iPhone 5 is actually overdue. I think this is probably due to the recent Verizon model, a delay in parts, or to get the iPod and iPhone on track for an annual release of both products at the same time. There is no reason to think they won't release a new one this fall.

It's not just a selling point for the new software. Major iOS updates have always coincided with a new iPhone and the new hardware has always been a substantial improvement from previous year's model. Technology moves fast in the smartphone industry. If they don't make a new one every year, they won't stay competitive. They can add a faster processor, more memory, more storage space, better camera, longer lasting battery, make the screen resolution higher and add a bigger screen. The parts get cheaper every year so they can afford to up the specs and sell it for the same price as the previous year. The rumors about upcoming Apple product releases from AppleInsider and other sources are pretty reliable. They can predict when a new product is coming because they can track the parts that Apple is ordering overseas and by carrier and Apple Store employee blackout dates.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Shoot! They can keep the asthetics the same. I'm all for performance upgrades. More powerful SoC, improved camera optics with 1080p video capture and playback on an external display, better speakers, more RAM, improved antenna design and placement, an even longer battery life. I guess the only external change I would like is a bigger display. I can keep going on about what can be improved. Everyone is crying about not having 4G. Why? I sure don't want to exceed my data cap every month. 4G will just make it easier for us to get raped by the carriers on our data usage. It's a cash cow for the carriers who use tiered data plans. So we can't watch YouTube videos in HD. Does it really matter on such a small screen? I can't imagine watching a Netflix movie in HD with a tiered data plan. If Apple decides to release the next iPhone with 4G, it would only be available to Verizon since their LTE coverage is growing rapidly and it's lightning fast. I have friends that have Verizon 4G Android phones and boy am I envious! They have to monitor there usage very carefuly because data speeds are just ludicrous. It's like that super hot girl that's also psychotic. I know what she's capable of doing to me but I'm scared of the consequences that will follow. It will take a lot of discipline and self control not to go crazy with an LTE device. Being that Verizon 4G LTE has been available in my area for a while, it's hard to resist.

Apr 11, 2010
any truth to the rumor that there will a hybrid cdma/gsm verizon iPhone 4s?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
any truth to the rumor that there will a hybrid cdma/gsm verizon iPhone 4s?
Well, that is highly likely for several reasons. When the Verizon iPhone was torn apart by several companies, it was discovered that the radio chip in the phone was the qualcomm dual mode chip which handles bothe CDMA and GSM. In other words, they could have made the phone a world phone but decided against it.
Since they already have the tech, and they want to limit the number of models type they have in production, it's a safe bet that the next iPhone will be an all-in-one device.
The big question is will they be offering them to be sold unlocked

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Well, that is highly likely for several reasons. When the Verizon iPhone was torn apart by several companies, it was discovered that the radio chip in the phone was the qualcomm dual mode chip which handles bothe CDMA and GSM. In other words, they could have made the phone a world phone but decided against it.
Since they already have the tech, and they want to limit the number of models type they have in production, it's a safe bet that the next iPhone will be an all-in-one device.
Actually I would bet against there being one phone. If it's hspa+ for Att then Verizon's version might have an LTE radio to run on their 4G network. I don't think it will be for both. That would to convenient for the customer.

The only way it's one phone is is if it doesn't support any 4G/LTE...and man, that's gonna be hard to swallow for a whole 'nother year.

Despite what I have seen mentioned about LTE and battery life, there are a few new a Android phones with great batteries(engadgets podcast reveiw)

If Samsung or HTC can do it. Then Apples gonna blow us away with the i5's new battery.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
Have to agree here