iPhone 5 vs iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Hockey Puck, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Hockey Puck

Hockey Puck Member
    Bronze

I have had every version of iPhone. I now have an iPhone 4. Debating on getting a 4S, but now I hear that Apple is coming out with an iPhone 5 with an A6 processor. Do I wait or go ahead and buy the 4s?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The next iPhone will probably be released in the fall. We don't know the specs yet. It's just rumors. I upgraded to a 4S and I think it was worth it. If you use your upgrade now, you can sell your iPhone 4 for $300 on craigslist and do an even trade. Then you'll be eligible for partial subsidy next fall (if you're with AT&T). You'll be able to sell the 4S for about $400 and buy the new one for $450. No reason not to upgrade right now, in my opinion.

3. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I have heard a summer release. Im not advising you what to do. It's a tough choice!

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If I had a nickel for every rumor I've heard... ;)

I still think it's unlikely that Apple will release it sooner than 11 months from the previous one. They have never done this with any of the iPods, iPads or iPhones (Verizon iPhone 4 excluded for obvious reasons). One year is perfect. Not too soon and not too late.

5. Ibrahim Allaf

Ibrahim Allaf Member
    Bronze

So I switched from BlackBerry 9790 / Galaxy S3 to an iPhone 5, this is my first iPhone and I think the keyboard on it and graphical interface is awesome

When I told my friend that I bought the iPhone 5 he was like NOOOO it's crap! the 4S is much better

he has an iPhone 4S I don't know if he was just saying that out of jealousy or if he was serious

Anyway, what are the main differences between iPhone 4S and 5?

tell me things such as speed, camera, screen size, etc.

I'm an iPhone n00b!e

6. JON35Y

JON35Y Member
    Bronze

7. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Quicker, lighter, bigger screen and a little bit thinner. Not a huge upgrade from the 4S, but certainly noticeable. I still have my 4S right next to me, and prefer the iP5. Your friend is pulling your leg!

8. Ibrahim Allaf

Ibrahim Allaf Member
    Bronze

buggier? how so? seems fine to me i've been using it for 3 days

9. JON35Y

JON35Y Member
    Bronze

It's your first iPhone, you won't know how refined the 4s was. I have wifi issues, signal issues and software issues..... To name a few

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk www.twitter.com/The_Real_JON35Y

10. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I have had every iPhone since the 3GS and have not had issues with any of them that I didn't cause myself. The 5 is a big step up from the 4S and I think you will like it. There have been people, as JON35Y has said, that are having problems with the iPhone 5 and those issues are well documented in this forum and others so all I can tell you is to be aware of what they are and to watch for them. The only issue I ever had was with my iPhone 4, about a year after I got it and that problem was self inflicted. I was suddenly having a problem connecting to my WiFi at home and unfortunately the Apple Care tech I talked to missed what I did wrong and I discovered my mistake myself two days later when my new replacement phone arrived from Apple. If you haven't done it already, I would recommend the Apple Care+ from Apple. $100 for two years of coverage including telephone support in the event of a problem. I have used it numerous times for the telephone support and once to get a replacement phone as have several of my friends and we all consider it cheap insurance, however, look into all the terms and conditions before getting it then decide for yourself if you need it.

11. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Yes the 4s was a polished iPhone but its yesterday's iPhone the iphon5 is much smoother and iOS 6 hasn't yet been Fully optimised for the new faster A6 chip,and to be honest most people got the 4s and are in 2 year contracts it's better to ask iPhone 4 upgrader, the 5 is the best looking iPhone we've had and yes it's had a few bugs but so did the iPhone 3 -4 and 4s.. When I first saw the 5 I said no i'm keeping my 4s then I held the 5 and it stood out from all the other smartphones..

from my iPhone5 with I-CAFE

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

What's left for A6 optimization of iOS 6?

13. Jeepinkj

Jeepinkj Member
    Bronze

I came from the iPhone 4 the the 5 and would never go back ip5 is awesome

iPhone5

14. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Well it's powering There latest devices so Apple have to show is it wasn't just a gimmick it has to show us that the a6 is the best and can be improved, or risk loosing millions of customers to Android,Samsung,htc

Sent using iCafe app

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm not sure I follow you, but okay. :)

16. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Well I suppose its that when Apple released details of the new ip5 all the new Apple gimmicks had been working on Android for 6 months lets be honest there's nothing new and standout about the A6 processor for all we know it cold be the A5 in a ip5, the guy who runs the iOS department at Apple who's just been given early retirement is in my mind because he didn't push the boundaries when it came to ios6, why couldn't you be able to have a widget that takes up 4 normal app spaces showing us the weathe or twitter or whatever you like you can only have one per screen,and when I turn my ip5 to landscape why can't the apps move to landscape as well like on the I pad...is the Nokia and windows that have live tiles it would be a bit like that but only one per home screen. Plus multitasking when I open my twitter app then I open my emails start reading one it takes me into safari but couldn't the screen break up into small app size tiles except the one your using so you could just tap onto say the twitter app and it all closes and goes into twitter or it opens another little app for the safari page you were just on so u could go straight back to that...apple can do better IMO.

Sent using iCafe app

17. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Yet you have an A6 in your avatar...

There's major improvement on the A6...it's twice as fast as the A5, and it's faster.

Sent using iCafe app

18. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

You miss my point I love Apple iPhone but it should of been better spec wise, I'm not a developer but its as if they thought " listen let's put a taller screen on make it out of the softest aluminium out there make it one solid piece of aluminium and make the a6 chip a touch faster than the 4s... Then charge £500 for a 16 gb entry model. Since the sad death of Steve jobs Apple don't seem to have someone who will take radical risks on new tech.... I'm not anti Android and what google and lg have done and brought out for £279 unlocked no contract is what all other mobile makers should be charging, what do we pay the extra for just to have an Apple device that nobody really sees except yourself...

Sent using iCafe app

19. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

What exactly did you want? And how can you say it's a touch faster? It's twice as fast, and faster then the S3.

Sent using iCafe app

20. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

I wanted to be able to open an app then open another and another and another and another then be give a choice when I press home of which ap if any I would like to return to, like I said instead of rows of 4 apps why not one block of four for say I cafe that's always updating latest posts you could only have a block of four on each home screen one with pulse say but you can go back to original row of four if you wish. Things used to be shook up now its not the leading innovators , but hey feels like you think I'm Apple bashin I'm not I'm just looking at our competitors and there right at our side and they weren't when Apple had innovators at the helm... Signing off my friend... Please don't think I'm an Apple hater I've got ip5 and ipad2 plus a laptop, but Apple needs a bigger shake up than the sacking of a couple of scapegoats...I'm in UK so off to m bed....

Sent using iCafe app