iPhone 5 white or black?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by rollinfromhell, Oct 3, 2012.

1. rollinfromhell

Gold

I was one of the unfortunate ones to receive a black blemished iPhone 5 after taking it home from Target the 21st. They have very limited stock and keep getting them in every week, but only in stock because its a small town. However, they are getting a white 16gb tomorrow, and not a black model. Think I should make the switch?

I mean I had a white 4s, it was nice but wanted a change. I've seen pics of the white 5 on the site, it was beautiful. Anyone have any pictures of their white iPhones to help me decide? I haven't seen any UP CLOSE other than some google searches. Particularly the back. Is it as bad of a scratch magnet as the black model?

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I'd be shocked if they let you change colors..

I have the black and not a single scratch or mark anywhere on it and I carry it naked...

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I must be lucky, then. My preorder black iPhone 5 arrived in pristine condition. I bought a black iPhone 5 from a local AT&T store yesterday and that was also in perfect condition.

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

My son has the black iPhone naked at the moment. We talking pant pockets, school backpacks, lockers, jacket pockets, on the floor, at music class (he uses a metronome app), in his TKD bag with sparring gear. Not to mention school bus! Let's say this phone goes places. Nothing on that phone but some sticky finger prints of a 11 year old.
    I got white at the moment with a case I like my charm straps.
    I take a picture of each when son comes back home

5. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Was just checking out a white one today it was nice! I'm leaning toward white even know I like black phones better and always thought white iPhones are more feminine.. But after seeing the white today I am on the fence. I'm worried black is gonna look terrible the way I keep hearing about scratching

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think the sheen on the silver chamfers of the white iPhone looks great. My 4 and 4S were black so I ordered a white 5. It will be here Friday.

iphone-5-photos-27.jpeg iphone-5-white-wallpaper.jpeg white-iphone-5-rendering.jpeg

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

It's low light but for now this will work
    I took the side pictures of the black since that is where the issues are ?

Attached Files:

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

What issues are those?

9. rollinfromhell

Gold

I can see small scrapes on the black. Thanks for posting the white ones, they look nice! I want the black, but afraid it's gonna scrape easy. The white looks just as good though, i'm so torn! The manager said they can exchange it for a different color. It's Target, not Apple. They'd be giving me a new box, accessories, and all.

10. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Huh we have no such issues but that is where people see them if they have them,

11. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

You do ? I can not tell ? But I did notice something else I have to investigate now

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I don't see any scrapes on the black in those pics. Where are they?

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I don't either. maybe I'm not looking hard enough. The pics are a bit fuzzy, though.

14. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I'm just the opposite of you. I've had black for every iteration of the iPhone and have just got my first white one with the 5. I'm absolutely loving the change so I say hold out for what's going to make you happiest - which sounds like the black. You'll be glad you did in the long run.

15. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

The black is nice but the chamfer is really delicate. The anodized part is pretty durable but I'm starting to get little dings in the chamfer. They should've anodized the entire ring or used a more durable metal.

16. rollinfromhell

Gold

Isn't the white just as bad ?

17. rollinfromhell

Gold

On the part where the cut glass is on the side. It's either small scrapes, or just dust.

18. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

I got one super super super small nick on my white iPhone it's on the gate right on the edge wheeee it rolls over the edge by the volume keys really small to see and I use my phone naked no case no screen protectors.

19. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Maybe but I wouldn't think so. Black with a scratch shows silver metal whereas silver with a scratch is gonna show silver metal. It's not gonna be as visible at a glance.

20. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Which has better resale value, white or black?