iPhone 5C... Cutting corners?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5C' started by liberated, Sep 12, 2013.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

iPhone 5C looks cool as a cheaper alternative. I can't help but thinking that this was a way to cut corners by Apple. I figure, they chose to make a plastic phone vs continuing the production of the iPhone 5 as a cheaper alternative to the 5S.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm thinking that Apple may have chosen to make the iPhone 5C with cheaper material that brings the price down with contract, in hopes that they may get new customers that will stick around for newer releases of the iPhone in the future.

Sent using iCafe app

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yes, I agree, this is aka cutting corners.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Yes, and unfortunately a lot of companies have done this in the past.

Sent using iCafe app

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

It's not 'plastic'... It is a more expensive sounding polycarbonate material. Hehehe

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Agree 100%! But it's not really cutting corners as it is smart decision making. The iPhone 4S costs $188 to make and the iPhone 5 was $230. That's a $42 difference and when you expect to sell a million or so of these older models it adds up to a huge loss. So Apple forced itself to make one of four choices. Eat the loss (yeah right), change the current pricing model (which wouldn't have made sense unless you change the 5s pricing also and in turn piss everyone off),use an older chipset to reduce production cost (still pisses people off and it wouldn't sell), create a phone using the same chipset but out of cheaper materials. Apple obviously made the correct decision for the company and it's customers. The fact that they also created a media buzz about a new (not really) device is just icing on the cake.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I was going to say something about increased margins to these neophytes, but you said it better than I would have. :D

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I agree with the businesss aspect, however I hope this might mean bigger plans for the iPhone 6. Did I hear that they showed iOS 7 but on a bigger iPhone? I'd like that.

Sent using iCafe app

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Around the time of a new iPhone release, I think people tend to speculate every time Tim Cook sneezes.

10. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks buddy. Sometimes simple economics escape people. I honestly at first didn't believe the rumors of a cheaper iPhone because one already existed (the older model). That was when I started to look at production costs and it all made sense. All I got to say is Bravo Apple! Bravo!

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

In your opinion, do you believe Tim Cook is doing his best for what's right for Apple?

Sent using iCafe app

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Smart move by Apple. People tend to forget that the underlying businesss model here is to turn a profit.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Opposed to secretly trying to fly the company into the ground? Maybe.

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Most definitely. Making a profit is what all businessses strive for. I'm just a little worried that Apple may make a mistake and not get the profit they were hoping for.

Sent using iCafe app

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I don't pretend to know. I don't sit in on too many meetings with ol' Tim. I'm not privy to his private thoughts. What I am privy to is the rampant speculation and rumors that we all regurgitate online. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's just that - speculation and rumor.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You're worried that Apple may make a mistake? They've never made one before?

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Well, it's obvious that Tim Cook has a lot of say in what goes into each new product. I'm just hoping that Apple continues to strive and keep that reputation.

Sent using iCafe app

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

No. I suspect he's a mole secretly working for Google and Samsung. :p

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm sure they have. But since I've been with Apple as a customer, I don't recall a mistake that cost them money with the iPhone specifically.

Sent using iCafe app

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Since I don't own Apple stock, I don't lose sleep at night worrying whether or not Apple is going to make a mistake that will ruin my life. Then again, maybe I should call them up because I know I can run that company better than Apple's top brass can. :)