iPhone 5C... Cutting corners?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Since I don't own Apple stock, I don't lose sleep at night worrying whether or not Apple is going to make a mistake that will ruin my life. Then again, maybe I should call them up because I know I can run that company better than Apple's top brass can. :)
Maybe you can! My friend just made an excellent point though. Why would they create a new iPhone with a new feature, the fingerprint scanner, and sell it for cheaper using different materials? According to my friend, that's not cool as now iPhone 5 customers are stuck with no upgrade availability.

Sent using iCafe app

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
In your opinion, do you believe Tim Cook is doing his best for what's right for Apple?

Sent using iCafe app
I think it's really too early to say. People thought Steve Jobs was ruining the company in the beginning and kicked him out. They of course were very wrong. When Steve came back they finally did it his way and we all saw how it grew. I think everyone at Apple understands that Steve's way worked. I think it's embedded in the DNA of Apple now. I think people get worried because Cook is a VERY different person than Jobs in personality. Jobs was very flamboyant, colorful, and opinionated. Cook seems much more closed if you will. We really don't know him and that's where I think a lot of the worry comes from. I think we need to concentrate less on who is running Apple now and more on HOW Apple is being run. And so far I still see the model Steve created. Once we start to deviate from that model is when I think we all really need to worry. The next 2-4 years will give us a much better picture of Apple's longevity. New product launches, possibly breaking ground into a new field. All I know is I'm staying tuned!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Since I don't own Apple stock, I don't lose sleep at night worrying whether or not Apple is going to make a mistake that will ruin my life. Then again, maybe I should call them up because I know I can run that company better than Apple's top brass can. :)
I imagine the conversation ending with you saying, "That's right. Now say my name." :D

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Maybe you can! My friend just made an excellent point though. Why would they create a new iPhone with a new feature, the fingerprint scanner, and sell it for cheaper using different materials? According to my friend, that's not cool as now iPhone 5 customers are stuck with no upgrade availability.

Sent using iCafe app
It's his opinion that it's not as cool as the iPhone 5. A lot of people have been begging for colors. And as I pointed out before it's about profit margins. They kinda forced themselves into a corner with the production costs of the 5. So the real question is what happens to the 5s when the 6 releases? Does it also get the color treatment? Guess only time will tell and if it does happen I think I'm the 1st person to call it. Lol!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Tell your friend not to talk while he's drunk. Which cheaper iPhone has the fingerprint scanner?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Tell your friend not to talk while he's drunk. Which cheaper iPhone has the fingerprint scanner?
My friend is a she, and she does not drink, same with me. No cheaper iPhone has the fingerprint scanner, but what is upsetting is that the iPhone 5C will have that feature and the phone will be sold for cheaper on contract. I kind of want to upgrade now just for that feature, but of course I don't have an upgrade available.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My friend is a she, and she does not drink, same with me. No cheaper iPhone has the fingerprint scanner, but what is upsetting is that the iPhone 5C will have that feature and the phone will be sold for cheaper on contract. I kind of want to upgrade now just for that feature, but of course I don't have an upgrade available.
The 5C doesn't have a fingerprint scanner.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

Sent using iCafe app
The 5C does not have a fingerprint scanner. So now what?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Ok then I'm getting the 5C and the 5S mixed up. Blah I'm all confused now. Nonetheless, I hope Apple does do well in their sales of both iPhones.
We can only go buy what you wrote, and you wrote "Why would they create a new iPhone with a new feature, the fingerprint scanner, and sell it for cheaper using different materials?"

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
We can only go buy what you wrote, and you wrote "Why would they create a new iPhone with a new feature, the fingerprint scanner, and sell it for cheaper using different materials?"
My bad. The iPhone 5C though will be a good hopeful opportunity for Apple to get new customers.

Sent using iCafe app

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Just so you know. Apple did change the off contract prices over here. The iPhone 5 was £499 for 16GB £599 for 32GB and £699 for 64GB. The 5S is £549, £629 and £709. I know it's only a little more but if 250,000 people buy the 32GB that's £7,250,000 more in Apples pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I like colors but I also like better specs.
That said not have read all the threat I will give you my thought.
Apple always has the prior iPhone as lower price option.
This year not, but the 5c is pretty much the same as 5 just with color.
5s did not come back with black.
I really think they had so much trouble with scuff gate (you should see the black phone we have! While the white has nothing)
that they decided to get a scuff proof phone for the lower price phones and try the space grey.
Last year Christmas at my sons middle school the hottest present was iPhone 4s. I believe they target the younger age group with color and a more sturdy (I think it looks somewhat more rugged) looking phone. I know around here schools are counting on kids having phones. My son is using now Edmodo app to send in some homework. The smart phones are doing more and more and are almost a laptop replacement. And I believe Apple is right on track with that (making 5s 64bit is proof to me).

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Thanks buddy. Sometimes simple economics escape people. I honestly at first didn't believe the rumors of a cheaper iPhone because one already existed (the older model). That was when I started to look at production costs and it all made sense. All I got to say is Bravo Apple! Bravo!
You can dress it up any way you like people but at the end of the day is cutting corners to increase profits, simple as that :D

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You can dress it up any way you like people but at the end of the day is cutting corners to increase profits, simple as that :D
Eliminating the old (more expensive to build that the 5c) iPhone 5 and putting the guts into a less expensive housing for increased profit is a bad thing? If the plastic housing ends up falling apart on a lot of people, then you may have a point. Until then, let's see what happens.