iPhone 5C... Cutting corners?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Eliminating the old (more expensive to build that the 5c) iPhone 5 and putting the guts into a less expensive housing for increased profit is a bad thing? If the plastic housing ends up falling apart on a lot of people, then you may have a point. Until then, let's see what happens.
No Naps I never said its a bad thing, but lets call it like it is, no reason they could not have kept the 5 metal and added colors to that. It's just cutting corners.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I'll say it again - it's probably cheaper to redo the 5 with a plastic shell.
What are we exactly discussing here? I know that. It's cheaper to use plastic, Apple does it that way to increase profit margins while sacrificing the quality when compared to the 5, that means they are cutting corners. An added bonus for them is that the phone will be a success despite this. It's all about maximizing profits, nothing wrong with that IMHO. But lets not make excuses for what it's an unapologetic corner cutting move :D

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
What are we exactly discussing here? I know that. It's cheaper to use plastic, Apple does it that way to increase profit margins while sacrificing the quality when compared to the 5, that means they are cutting corners. An added bonus for them is that the phone will be a success despite this. It's all about maximizing profits, nothing wrong with that IMHO. But lets not make excuses for what it's an unapologetic corner cutting move :D
You can call it what you like. I'd prefer the term "cost-cutting," but whatever floats yer boat. I'll even let you have the last word if you'd like.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
You can call it what you like. I'd prefer the term "cost-cutting," but whatever floats yer boat. I'll even let you have the last word if you'd like.
I completely agree. It's not cutting corners so much as it is not making a businesss mistake. A mistake that at bare minimum would have cost them $42 million. Like I said Apple made the right decision for them and consumers.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I completely agree. It's not cutting corners so much as it is not making a businesss mistake. A mistake that at bare minimum would have cost them $42 million. Like I said Apple made the right decision for them and consumers.
As long as the plastic shell holds up well and doesn't lend itself to any silly "-gate" names, I agree wholeheartedly with you.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I see the iPhone 5c as the non-pro version of the latest iPhone. Rather than give those wanting a $99 iPhone 5 on contract, give them something more colorful and more rugged. It's literally cheaper, but it's not inexpensive enough to be a game-changer.

Also, I believe the 5c has the same number of LTE bands as the 5s (although not all carriers can take advantage), has a new 3x zoom feature for video recording, and has a new HD FaceTime camera.

Sent using iCafe app

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Upgraded camera and battery? I wouldn't say Apple is cutting corners. The majority of the internals are the same as the iP5. The colored plastic back was the only major change but that might be attractive to a lot of consumers. Look at all the Android users with plastic phones. The iPhone 3G and 3GS had plastic but nobody complained and scuffs gate was non existent.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I wonder if the 5c will force Apple to dumb down the next iPod Touch?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2