iPhone 5c, old technology?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5C' started by ivantwilliams, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

When the 5c was released, someone mentioned to me that it was 'old' technology, i.e. the iPhone 5 wrapped in a different cover. I don't believe so, but, what are YOUR thoughts?

Thanks

Ivan

Sent using iCafe app

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I've read and heard that the iPhone 5c does not have the fingerprint scanner. Also it is plastic indeed. Apple says on their website, "This structural integrity makes iPhone 5c pleasingly solid to the touch -- unlike any plastic phone you've ever held."

www.apple.com/iphone-5c/design/

What do I think? I don't have the iPhone 5c, however, I still believe that they made it for many reasons including this one--to help those who don't have a lot of money to spend on the other iPhones. Another however, I have read online that the iPhone 5c was a mistake that Apple did. I'm reading now of course that the c may stand for cheap as we have said before it came out.

Nonetheless, I'm sure the phone is great, but what may cause someone to not buy it is the plastic part of the iPhone.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's basically an iPhone 5, yes. However, it's not being sold as the latest Apple technology - the iPhone 5s is.

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

It's an iPhone 5 wrapped in plastic. The c in iPhone 5c, IMO means 'cheap' as in cheaper. I've played with a few 5c's and they have the same performance as my iPhone 5.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The specs on the 5c are a year old (iPhone 5 specs). Some people say that's old technology, but it's not that old. The fingerprint scanner on the 5s isn't a big deal. I'm not using mine currently. You don't really notice the speed increase with most tasks. The camera was the big selling point to me, but the camera on the iPhone 5 is still really good. Plastic is fine. My 3G and 3GS were plastic and they didn't feel cheap. It's just a way to lower the manufacturing cost a little.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It's not "just plastic". It's polycarbonate. It's strong and is lacquer coated to help prevent scratches. Others have used polycarbonate as well, including Nokia and Samsung on some Galaxy models. The reason Apple used polycarbonate for the 5c was for the colors. Metal didn't work as well for that.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/design/

Sent using iCafe app on an amazing iPhone 5

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Metal works just fine for that. The colored aluminum iPods look great. They went with plastic to decrease cost.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yeah, that's the truth of it. They just won't admit that.

9. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

...you know, as a gadget person, these are the issues we deal with. We want the latest and greatest and thus most expensive. I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting a decent device, even if I don't get an iPhone 5s. Plus, I'd have a case of sorts on it (more than likely an Otterbox Defender), thus only I'd know it was a 5c ;)

(unless someone spotted the home button)

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I have a homebuilt PC that hasn't had the quad-core i7 processor upgraded in a couple of years. Oh, dear! :D

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You're good with a 5c. It's the same as the iPhone 5, except for the polycarbonate casing rather than aluminum. I love my iPhone 5. For me, the extra features on the 5s don't justify paying twice as much for, based on Verizon upgrade.

12. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

A price of $99, sounds more appealing than $199.99...

13. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

It's actually a bit better than the iPhone 5, because it's got a bigger battery than the 5 did. [​IMG]

14. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Whenever someone asks me about the 5c, I tell them it is a 5 with a slightly bigger battery and colors.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It has bigger colors?

16. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

The Oxford comma saves the day!

Whenever someone asks me about the 5c, I tell them it is a 5 with a slightly bigger battery, and colors.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Or:

Whenever someone asks me about the 5c, I tell them it is a 5 with colors and a slightly bigger battery.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Or:

Whenever someone asks me about the 5c, I tell them it's a 5 with a slightly bigger battery and colored plastic casing instead of aluminum.

19. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Nah, still can be read as a bigger colored plastic casing. Um, way OT, sorry.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oh yeah, you're right. (y)