iPhone 5c, old technology?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
When the 5c was released, someone mentioned to me that it was 'old' technology, i.e. the iPhone 5 wrapped in a different cover. I don't believe so, but, what are YOUR thoughts?

Thanks

Ivan

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I've read and heard that the iPhone 5c does not have the fingerprint scanner. Also it is plastic indeed. Apple says on their website, "This structural integrity makes iPhone 5c pleasingly solid to the touch -- unlike any plastic phone you've ever held."

www.apple.com/iphone-5c/design/

What do I think? I don't have the iPhone 5c, however, I still believe that they made it for many reasons including this one--to help those who don't have a lot of money to spend on the other iPhones. Another however, I have read online that the iPhone 5c was a mistake that Apple did. I'm reading now of course that the c may stand for cheap as we have said before it came out.

Nonetheless, I'm sure the phone is great, but what may cause someone to not buy it is the plastic part of the iPhone.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
When the 5c was released, someone mentioned to me that it was 'old' technology, I.e. the iPhone 5 wrapped in a different cover. I don't believe so, but, what are YOUR thoughts?

Thanks

Ivan

Sent using iCafe app
It's basically an iPhone 5, yes. However, it's not being sold as the latest Apple technology - the iPhone 5s is.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
It's an iPhone 5 wrapped in plastic. The c in iPhone 5c, IMO means 'cheap' as in cheaper. I've played with a few 5c's and they have the same performance as my iPhone 5.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
When the 5c was released, someone mentioned to me that it was 'old' technology, I.e. the iPhone 5 wrapped in a different cover. I don't believe so, but, what are YOUR thoughts?
The specs on the 5c are a year old (iPhone 5 specs). Some people say that's old technology, but it's not that old. The fingerprint scanner on the 5s isn't a big deal. I'm not using mine currently. You don't really notice the speed increase with most tasks. The camera was the big selling point to me, but the camera on the iPhone 5 is still really good. Plastic is fine. My 3G and 3GS were plastic and they didn't feel cheap. It's just a way to lower the manufacturing cost a little.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
It's not "just plastic". It's polycarbonate. It's strong and is lacquer coated to help prevent scratches. Others have used polycarbonate as well, including Nokia and Samsung on some Galaxy models. The reason Apple used polycarbonate for the 5c was for the colors. Metal didn't work as well for that.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/design/

Sent using iCafe app on an amazing iPhone 5

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's not "just plastic". It's polycarbonate. It's strong and is lacquer coated to help prevent scratches. Others have used polycarbonate as well, including Nokia and Samsung on some Galaxy models. The reason Apple used polycarbonate for the 5c was for the colors. Metal didn't work as well for that.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/design/
Metal works just fine for that. The colored aluminum iPods look great. They went with plastic to decrease cost.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...you know, as a gadget person, these are the issues we deal with. We want the latest and greatest and thus most expensive. I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting a decent device, even if I don't get an iPhone 5s. Plus, I'd have a case of sorts on it (more than likely an Otterbox Defender), thus only I'd know it was a 5c ;)

(unless someone spotted the home button)

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
...you know, as a gadget person, these are the issues we deal with. We want the latest and greatest and thus most expensive. I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting a decent device, even if I don't get an iPhone 5s. Plus, I'd have a case of sorts on it (more than likely an Otterbox Defender), thus only I'd know it was a 5c ;)

(unless someone spotted the home button)
You're good with a 5c. It's the same as the iPhone 5, except for the polycarbonate casing rather than aluminum. I love my iPhone 5. For me, the extra features on the 5s don't justify paying twice as much for, based on Verizon upgrade.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Or:

Whenever someone asks me about the 5c, I tell them it's a 5 with a slightly bigger battery and colored plastic casing instead of aluminum.