iPhone 5s and Lifeproof Fre

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Jerome G, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

Seems the flash cut out is going to be a problem. I really didn't feel like spending $80 for a new case

2. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Does LP have a case for the new 5s and 5c

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I'm using the nüüd case on my 5S and both of the flash elements seem to be exposed well enough. I'm not sure how it compares to the frē though. I'll post a pic when I get my other iPhone on a wifi network.

Not yet, but you can sign up to be notified when they become available.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/iphone-5s/iphone-5s-case/

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/iphone-5c-case?gclid=CL2et4vxi7oCFasWMgodrG8ALw

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Here's a pic of the flash with my 5S in the Lifeproof nüüd case.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1381396388.098785.jpg

Edit: While the flash does seem to be fully exposed, I'm a little concerned the sensor between the flash and lens isn't exposed enough. Maybe the new design will leave this whole area open to receiving light.

#4 Kadelic, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  5. Arrow-sulu

Arrow-sulu New Member

Edit: While the flash does seem to be fully exposed, I'm a little concerned the sensor between the flash and lens isn't exposed enough. Maybe the new design will leave this whole area open to receiving light.[/quote]

That "sensor" is the noise canceling/video recording mic. As long as there's a pin hole you should be ok. I have the fre' for the i5 and that is really my only issue. There is no hole for that mic. So when I'm in a call ill get this annoying feedback loop all the time. I actually have thought about taking a super tiny drill bit and drilling a hole there but I just haven't brought myself to. I don't want to sacrifice the waterproofness. Lol

Sent using iCafe app

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

There is also no hole in their Nüüd version. It is a dimple, just like in the Fré case.

7. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I picked up a new fre for the 5S from AT&T for 40 cause they were on sale and I got a new one for my wife also for the 5. To tide me over until the new real 5S case comes out.

I didn't notice any video sound issues although I haven't done much video yet

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

8. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

That "sensor" is the noise canceling/video recording mic. As long as there's a pin hole you should be ok. I have the fre' for the i5 and that is really my only issue. There is no hole for that mic. So when I'm in a call ill get this annoying feedback loop all the time. I actually have thought about taking a super tiny drill bit and drilling a hole there but I just haven't brought myself to. I don't want to sacrifice the waterproofness. Lol[/quote]

I just tested my 5S in the nüüd shooting video with both cameras and the audio records fine. I figured it was a light sensor for the camera but like @RoofMonkey said it's just a dimple. (now that I really inspected it :D )

I don't get that feedback loop or the echo effect unless I'm talking to a particular person and she is laying down with her phone and a pillow, so in my case I don't think it's my phone/case. I'd hold off on the drill bit too! :)

9. Arrow-sulu

Arrow-sulu New Member

How does the case work with the fp sensor?

Sent using iCafe app

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

It doesn't.

11. Arrow-sulu

Arrow-sulu New Member

Lol I figured that's what you where going to say but I wasn't sure if you had a trick up your sleeve

Sent using iCafe app

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

My guess is that future versions will have a thin clear plastic layer over the home button. I've used the sensor over a ziplock bag and it works just fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Nickbakko

Nickbakko New Member

Im selling my brand new iPhone 5 fre case

14. Nickbakko

Nickbakko New Member

because im switching to 5s

15. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Just can't use the fingerprint sensor. I don't wanna sacrifice protection for now. So I'm waiting for a LP 5s version

16. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

So I got the 5s and the flash does seem fully exposed, don't really care to much about the fingerprint sensor.
    Gonna have to try a few pics to make sure the flash works correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

#16 Jerome G, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  17. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

#17 RoofMonkey, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  18. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Looks so much like lifeproof and I know otter box bought them but from the looks of this case I wonder how much different LP's case is gonna looks

19. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I highly doubt there will be a LifeProof specific one. But if they can make more $$ selling the same case but in a different packaging, they will ;)

20. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I was thinking the same cause each company has their fans but I bet there are a lot of customers don't know they merged