Iphone 5S can't be use as an iPod.

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by FFAP1234, Oct 15, 2016.

1. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I'm in South America now. I brought a Verizon iPhone 5S running iOS 9.

I'm trying to at lease use it as an iPod to get emails but it doesn't let me pass the phone line activation. I have tried two different SIM cards from different phone carriers but it won't let me move farther to get to setting.

It tries to activate and then tells me to try later again. The server is not available, try later again, contact apple.

How do I do to at least get to settings to do the ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1476577190.573773.jpg IOS10 update? I'm very frustrated. I brought my mac but connecting to iTunes doesn't help either. Can somebody help me please? Thank you.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Did you purchase this phone used? If so, how did you verify the unlock prior to purchase?
    2. Have you tried to restore it to factory settings with an active SIM card in place?

The Verizon iPhone is tricky as far as the unlock status goes. Yes, it is an unlocked phone. If the original owner activates it with a Verzion SIM when it is brand new, it will always be unlocked and any SIM can be used to activate it. However, if the original owner uses an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM to activate it that first time, it will remain locked to that carrier. If that is the case, AT&T can unlock it for that customer upon request as long as the customer's contract is fulfilled.

3. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

It was originally a Verizon customer but I tested with my ATT SIM card then, is that a problem? The Iphone 5S Is for a friend of mine. I put in recovery mode now and downloading IOS 10, I hope that may fix it, would it?

I just moved to Verizon to be able to get the iPhone 7 unlocked. And yes, it does work in here, I only paid tax on it to this point. According to what I read only Verizon and sprint have all the bands, did I do right moving to Verizon? Thank u.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. It's perfectly fine to test an AT&T SIM card in it. It won't alter anything.
    2. It should. Switch SIMs and try to activate it with a different SIM if it doesn't.
    3. Yes. Switching to Verizon was a good move.

5. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Thank you. Sorry it got so late that I needed to go to bed. Before going to bed it check the computer and there was an error. I started all over again. It said about 8 hours. This morning there was another error (48). Now I'm doing a safari update. I'm very frustrated. Am I in the right path? Thank you again. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1476614665.429312.jpg

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Delete the update file and then click update iPhone in iTunes. This will redownload the file.
    ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

7. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Please give me a little more detail. I'm not familiar with that info. To this point I got the error several times and don't know what to do.

I'm on the street now, I should be in front of the computer in about 3 hours from now. Thank you again.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The update file might be corrupt, so you'll want to delete it and download it again. I posted the file location on your computer so you can delete it.

9. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I'm finally home. I deleted the fine and it tells me 7 hours remaining. I will probably need to wait until the morning. I really hope this will work.

I'm trying to analyze what happened. Did I have two different problems? Besides the original searching server one I downloaded a corrupted file? How did I do that? Thank you.

10. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Is is important to choose the country I'm in when I'm using iTunes? I did choose the one I'm in. Thank you again.

11. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I'm going crazy. Now there is this ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1476667863.980843.jpg

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Download the firmware outside of iTunes and then press the option key and the update button. Make sure you download the correct version.
    https://ipsw.me/

13. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Do I choose global or GSM?

14. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Ok according to the back of the phone I have a GSM version. As I said, it was running iOS 9 so that is what I chose to download. The message tells me 5 hours. This wifi is very slow.

My next question is; I downloaded iOS10 before and then put it to the trash. Can I still bring it back and use it later to update to IOS10? To this point we are thinking the firmware was the problem and no an iOS10 corrupted right? Thank you.

15. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

To this point I give up. The wifi quality here is slow and week. It is taking to much time for me to solve this situation. I decided to bring the phone to USA and try to make it work there. I am sure I will need same more advice later on. I hope you will continue giving me your support when I get back home. I really appreciate all you help, thank you very much.

16. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I'm back in USA.
    This phone was running iOS 9 before had the probemos. I go to the web page but I can't find the firmware I'm looking for. This phone is Model A1533. I don't know what to do : (