iPhone 5s no service, keeps searching for signal

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by ricks2gtouch, Aug 18, 2014.

1. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Woke up this morning at my normal weekday time of 5:30am. Brought my phone out with to sit outside with the dog while she chose her particular spot for her morning business. Apparently, this is a very complicated process because she takes forever. However, I noticed that my phone was "searching . . ." for signal. Well, crap. Not the dog, she was still searching. Finally got back inside and checked my wife's phone. She is still sleeping at this point because she has no interest in being awake at 5:30 nor in waiting for the dog outside. Her phone has a good connection to AT&T. I switched the SIMs out and her sim in my phone still won't pull a signal, but my sim in her phone pulls up fine. Called AT&T when I got to work and they had me go through the normal things with no joy. Called Apple and they wanted me to restore from iTunes. At work, no iTunes. So she recommended a Genius bar appt. So . . . I am sad because I have no service to my iPhone right now.

2. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Is your phone set to automatic search or manual? I had this problem when I set it to manual it took for ages to grab all the available signals. When I set it back to automatic it resolved itself. Just a suggestion.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't recall ever seeing that option. Where do you see that on your iPhone?

4. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Under settings there should be an option called carrier? Select that and see what it is set to.

5. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

By the way I should have mentioned that my phone is unlocked so maybe if your phone is locked to a network it obviously won't show a carrier option.

6. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Quick trip to apple store in Orlando, iPhone replaced, all good. Probably antenna issue.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yep. No carrier option. Locked to Verizon. Thanks!

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The SIM tray on the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked. You can't use it on Sprint, but it will work on AT&T, T-Mobile or any other worldwide GSM network. The Verizon iPhone 5 can't access AT&T LTE, though. Just 4G HSPA+ and lower.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't recall seeing a SIM tray on my phone. Where would it be located? I don't have a carrier option on my settings menu. It shows in about. It's about time to remove my Otterbox for cleaning. I'll look again.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Are you sure an iPhone 5 bought on contract from Verizon is unlocked? It says "UNKNOWN".
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1408496718.002556.jpg

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes. I got a Verizon iPhone 5 on contract at launch and tested it for a week. I decided to stick with AT&T, so I returned it. I tested it with an active AT&T SIM and it worked fine on 4G and for calls, etc. It couldn't access LTE, but I didn't have LTE back then anyway.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It seems all I've read in the forums suggested all Verizon phones were locked. But you're right. I removed my Otterbox for only the 3rd time in a year and found the SIM tray. My phone still looks brand spanking new. Thanks!

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They probably meant the CDMA side is locked to Verizon, which is true. You can't use it on Sprint. However, I can tell you from research and firsthand experience that it is GSM-unlocked.