iPhone 5s sound when shaking

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
When I shake my iPhone 5s (not with any force), there is a noticeable sound, almost as if something is loose inside. I'm not sure if it's normal, since I've only got one iPhone 5s on hand. Is anyone else experiencing the same? It's definitely coming from in or around the home button.

I compared to the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c, both pin quiet when shaking.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Mine doesn't make any noise pal.

Al Vila

Bronze
Sep 13, 2010
Mine doesn't either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Crap on a stick. Looks like it's return city for me. Oh well, it's not impeding my ability to review the thing.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Looks like this home button may not be as durable as previous iPhones?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You don't need to return it. There are moving parts in the phone and it isn't uncommon to hear some rattling when shaking it. My iPhone 4 rattled when I shook it. It functioned perfectly fine so I didn't return it. It still worked fine a year and half later when I sold it and upgraded to the 4S.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Looks like this home button may not be as durable as previous iPhones?
Why would you assume it's the home button? There have been complaints of rattling in iPhones as far back as I can remember. Sometimes it's just the lock button.

Sent using iCafe app

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I just checked mine and there is a faint rattle by the home button too, I think I'll stay put as there are no functional problems plus I have a year in case something stops working. Can this be the "buttongate"? :D

Last edited:

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Why would you assume it's the home button? There have been complaints of rattling in iPhones as far back as I can remember. Sometimes it's just the lock button.

Sent using iCafe app
Just going by what Chris reported, plus there is a ribbon connecting the home button (the only part that is long to allow for screen removal) that could easily rattle as it's long and not fully seated on the motherboard (there's slack to allow screen removal). That's why my hypothesis is the home button as being the culprit.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just going by what Chris reported, plus there is a ribbon connecting the home button (the only part that is long to allow for screen removal) that could easily rattle as it's long and not fully seated on the motherboard (there's slack to allow screen removal). That's why my hypothesis is the home button as being the culprit.
It could be that but there are other possibilities. I wouldn't worry about it unless it has functional problems.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
It could be that but there are other possibilities. I wouldn't worry about it unless it has functional problems.
Agree on both counts. I'm keeping mine.

K.C.

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 15, 2011
California
You don't need to return it. There are moving parts in the phone and it isn't uncommon to hear some rattling when shaking it. My iPhone 4 rattled when I shook it. It functioned perfectly fine so I didn't return it. It still worked fine a year and half later when I sold it and upgraded to the 4S.

Sent using iCafe app
Yep my offspring says its normal.. Mine doesn't rattle, but the home button seems noiser than my other phones. the demo model at Best Buy was very noisy.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007

Sent using iCafe app
I'm sorry, no. Brand new mobile phones shouldn't rattle. iPhone or otherwise. The tolerances are so tight that a rattle means something is loose that shouldn't be. Just because it functions properly doesn't mean it's okay.

I read this on car and other enthusiast forums all the time where true-believers defend production problems because "mine's been okay and it does that".

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I'm in agreement. I actually have two button issues.

The sleep/lock button rattles like crazy and the home button has a weird clicking noise that I did not notice on my other iPhones (I've had every model).

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Based on my past experience with service and having spent $650, I'm most likely going to send it back. It could work perfectly fine for the life of the iPhone 5s (a year for me), but I'd rather play it safe. If it happens on some iPhones, but not others, I'd say it's not intended to be this way.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm sorry, no. Brand new mobile phones shouldn't rattle. iPhone or otherwise. The tolerances are so tight that a rattle means something is loose that shouldn't be. Just because it functions properly doesn't mean it's okay.

I read this on car and other enthusiast forums all the time where true-believers defend production problems because "mine's been okay and it does that".
Not necessarily. Sometimes it's just the lock button. The tolerance on that is not tight. And there are other moving parts. It's a waste of time to return it if it's working properly.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

Camera lens parts do rattle. Been that way since they implemented auto-focus in the 3GS. In fact, I'd challenge anyone to provide an iPhone 3GS or newer that doesn't have a rattling camera lens.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Camera lens parts do rattle. Been that way since they implemented auto-focus in the 3GS. In fact, I'd challenge anyone to provide an iPhone 3GS or newer that doesn't have a rattling camera lens.
1 3GS, 2 4S's and 2 5's - all have a slight lens rattle to them.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Just to circle back and confirm. It is the lens. If you tap lightly on the back of the 5s, you can hear it.