iPhone 5s Space Gray Scratches, scrapes and dings?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Hey everyone. I haven't received my iPhone 5s Space Gray yet, but I am curious to know from those who have it, do you think it will scratch like the Slate/Black iPhone 5 was prone to do?

I could find nothing much about this on the web except for people saying that it would still scratch and some people who had scrapes right out of the box like they did the iPhone 5.

I just want to know from you all how you think this Space Gray will hold up? Do you think the scratches, scrapes and dings will show up like they did on the iPhone 5 or will it be less visible.

Thanks.
I'm still under the tarp being protected and waiting somewhat patiently for the arrival of my iPhone 5s.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
My iPhone 5 black was horrible. That's one of the reasons I wanted silver this time. I have been using my 5S that is Space Gray because I couldn't find a silver one. I haven't had any issues with it. But then again it's new and I might be taking a little more care with it than normal. I do not use cases or bumpers, but so far it look great and I can't find one blemish, scratch or mark on it.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
My iPhone 5 black was horrible. That's one of the reasons I wanted silver this time. I have been using my 5S that is Space Gray because I couldn't find a silver one. I haven't had any issues with it. But then again it's new and I might be taking a little more care with it than normal. I do not use cases or bumpers, but so far it look great and I can't find one blemish, scratch or mark on it.
Good to hear it looks great. Would you ever use a screen protector or a body protector like for the back?

I used a screen and body protector for my 5 and it worked very well. I plan on using the same kind again for the Space Gray as I don't want any surprise scratches or dings. I can't stand it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I use cases, but have at times lapsed during switches (phones or cases). Maybe I was lucky, but my slate black never scratched. Well, there it is, I've just jinxed my space gray iPhone 5s.

I wouldn't put a protector on the back. They look good on glass and maybe (just maybe) plastic. Putting plastic on a aluminum just doesn't feel right. I'll draw upon the bumper sticker on a Porsche comparison.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
@chris thanks for the comparison. That was funny. Having the back of the iPhone 5 felt weird but I got used to it. LOL! I suppose that was a super low-class Kia solution but it worked and I have no scraches on my iPhone 5. The thing looks brand new.

I do love the feel of the naked iPhone too, so maybe I'll hold off on my low class ideas of protection of the back of the iPhone for as long as I can. I just don't want it to get scratched up.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Good to hear it looks great. Would you ever use a screen protector or a body protector like for the back?

I used a screen and body protector for my 5 and it worked very well. I plan on using the same kind again for the Space Gray as I don't want any surprise scratches or dings. I can't stand it.

I like the feel of a naked phone. I haven't any kind of protection that works on mine, that would not require me to get a new mount for my car. I keep thinking about a bumper, but i just never like the feel of them. I hope yours hold up good. Everyone at work laughs at me because the only protection I use for my phone is a paper towel that I keep folder up in my front pocket. hehe

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Have you tried the speck flip iPhone case? It's the best case I've ever owned, easy to take off, not bulky and it protects the phone well.

Sent using iCafe app

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
I like the feel of a naked phone. I haven't any kind of protection that works on mine, that would not require me to get a new mount for my car. I keep thinking about a bumper, but I just never like the feel of them. I hope yours hold up good. Everyone at work laughs at me because the only protection I use for my phone is a paper towel that I keep folder up in my front pocket. hehe
@coop1701 OMG! A paper towel folded up in your front pocket for protection!?!?! ROFLMAO! Man, thats like a plastic bag for a helmet.

To each his own. I can't knock the feel of a naked iPhone. It just feels right. However, I know that it has to be protected because the streets are mean! You hear me?! The streets are mean and unforgiving to those who do not protect their iPhones. You ever hear the sound of a naked iPhone 5 hitting the pavement of a driveway? It is a sound you will not soon forget and then whats worse is the look of the iPhone 5 when you pick it up off the pavement. It's heartbreaking. I say this because it happened to me. The gleam of the naked aluminum peaking up from under the black anodize aluminum mocking me was horrible. I exchanged it an hour later, and the Genius didn't even acknowledge the horrible condition the phone was in, but I will never forget how it looked and I will always put something on it. That was just a bad experience.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
@coop1701 OMG! A paper towel folded up in your front pocket for protection!?!?! ROFLMAO! Man, thats like a plastic bag for a helmet.
I do use a paper towel... works well and since I don't carry a wallet. It keeps my Credits Cards and other stuff from possibly scuffing it. No one wants a scuffed iPhone. lol
I have to have the proper balance in my pockets and Paper Towels have no weight.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
I do use a paper towel... works well and since I don't carry a wallet. It keeps my Credits Cards and other stuff from possibly scuffing it. No one wants a scuffed iPhone. lol
I have to have the proper balance in my pockets and Paper Towels have no weight.
@coop1701

Well you use what works, that's what's important. Funny but it works.

Once I had on a pair of pants I loved and the hem on the right leg came undone and the material just fell over my boot. So when I got to work I grabbed some duct tape and went to the ladies room where I instantly hemmed my pant leg. That duct tape worked like a charm and lasted through several dry cleanings. My mother laughed at me, but it wokred and stayed. So I get it. If it works then that's all the matters.

I'm sorry if you think I was making fun. I actully wasn't. Just hadn't heard of anyone actually applying the paper towel method as a form of protection. So I do apologize if I offended you. It was never my intention. How could I, I use duct tape as a form of mending clothing. Oh, and I am not shy to use the stapler for lost buttons on a shirt.

Zamboni52

Jun 13, 2011
I use the black leather Apple case and it is awesome. Tight fit and great protection leather on aluminum is perfect. I will buy the new life proof case when I head out hiking or swimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Last edited by a moderator:

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
I have a black iPhone 5 and it's like new in fact if I put it back in its box you wouldn't be able to tell but I recently dropped my s4 (no damage done) but it made me think about what would happen if I did drop my ip5 so I got the spigen neo hybrid with yellow band and it looks great against the black ip5 and it adds no bulk. Love it.

Sent using iCafe app

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
After past iPhones and spending/wasting so much money on cases, I found the ones from Zoo Gue and I've never looked back. My 5 which I have to my mom went straight from box to case. Same with my 5S.

I stopped using screen protectors with the 5 and have never had problems, but I do keep my phone in my front left pocket all by itself.

Last edited:

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
No not the spacey gray my close friend has it and it's fine... My bro in laws girlfriend has the 5 black always on same case and no problem but she had the same case on it since day one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk