iPhone 5s unsafe?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by liberated, Sep 15, 2013.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

The thought just occurred to me that now thieves may cut your finger off instead of just taking your phone by force. If they need your finger to unlock the phone, then our hands are now at risk! Another scenario is that now you won't be able to use the home button with gloves on. Imagine subzero temperatures and your thumb falling off because its frozen solid!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

To stick with the topic, somewhat, have you heard about the government now discussing the fingerprint feature being a risky factor that Apple has provided? We will now give ourselves away with our fingerprint, thereforee losing the 5th amendment right.

I have not researched this, but will the fingerprint feature be required or optional? Will 5s owners be able to still choose to only have the passcode as their unlock?

Sent using iCafe app

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Apple claims that the biometric data will be stored locally and never uploaded to their servers.....but how do we really know this is true or that it won't change in the future?

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Exactly! I'm not saying that we cannot trust Apple, but things do change in this world, and this fingerprint sensor being a way for them to have our information and more is something that will worry me.

I'm sure a lot of people if not all have thought about this. Maybe not. But although I won't be having the fingerprint sensor for a while until the iPhone 6 is released, I still am worried about this new feature mainly due to the fact about giving ourselves away.

Sent using iCafe app

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You have a point but in all reality, we are truly at the mercy of our governments no matter what. Most professionals probably have fingerprints stored somewhere. I have mine taken every time I look for a new job as an RN (background check). So in reality, I would not be too concerned about it.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You have a point as well. However, not everybody does a fingerprint often. I've only had mine taken for minor things, such as selling my video game systems and all to a game store. I do not remember the other reasons, but definitely not anything as far as jobs or police related. I have yet to deal with that, thankfully.

As we always say, only time will tell in these situations. You're right that most likely we are at the mercy of the governments no matter what, but this may be something that will also worry me, although I've felt safe since being with Apple for many years now.

Sent using iCafe app

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Ever been to Disney or any major theme park? They get your data too

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I have been to Disney World and other parks, but I don't ever remember having to give my thumb print before getting in.

Sent using iCafe app

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

They've required a fingerprint with your ticket for the last several years. Their database could be easily queried by the government at any time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I see. Well, I definitely have not been to Disney World or any other theme parks in many years now.

Sent using iCafe app

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's a tad bit alarmist. I'm not really worried about getting a digit cut off for my phone. There also may be other tech in the 5s sensor that takes subdermal readings for vitality signs. My research is a bit unclear on that point, however.

My point is that if people are going to cower in fear over these kinds of possibilities, then they should stay home in bed, climb under the covers, and never go outside.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Naps, this is a legitimate concern.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/3904572

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Sharunda, you go, girl! Now get back outside and take on life square in the teeth! :D

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Update at the end of the article:

"UPDATE: A previous version of this story said that thieves had previously mutilated victims to gain access to phones. In fact this has only been recorded in rare instances relating to devices other than phones."

Like I said, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sure, it's a possibility, but we all face potential dangers every time we get out of bed.

When I visit Mindi in November, am I going to chicken out and not get on the plane because I saw "Lost"? :D

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I don't go to midnight premieres or late movies now due to the Colorado movie theater massacre.

Sent using iCafe app

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I can't wait until retina scan becomes available on iPhones...

Eye.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Well, to be honest with you, I don't visit the Yucatan Peninsula much after the big asteroid impact 65 million years ago.

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Wow, 65 million years ago? I guess the saying still stands, "Anything can happen at anytime."

Sent using iCafe app

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

On a cosmic scale, you're absolutely correct.

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Oh yeah!

Sent using iCafe app