iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models affected by diminished touch response and gray flickering bars

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Rafagon, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Jason Villmer, owner of STS Telecom, a board repair shop in Missouri, describes an issue that has begun surfacing in iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models as a “ticking time bomb,” while iFixit is calling the problem "Touch Disease.”

Affected units have a gray flickering bar at the top of the screen and a display that's unresponsive or less responsive to touch.

Apple seemingly is attempting to wash its hands of the problem, choosing not to recognize it as an issue and being quick to remind people that their devices are now out of warranty.

MacRumors has the outrageous full story on this disgraceful issue.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Let me clear up any misunderstandings due to the National Enquirer-like headline that also isn't accurately descriptive

No iPhones are exploding due to this apparent defect. Please...remember our out-of-site guests who may be Googling.

#2 Napoleon PhoneApart, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Now that I re-read that headline, I can see how it can cause confusion out of context. If you’d like, please change the thread title to:

“Apparent manufacturing defect causes issues with touch responsiveness of some iPhone 6 and 6 Plus units.” They can find out about the gray flickering bar when they read the post; that would be, I’d guess, the lesser of the two issues.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

How about putting a little thought into the title before posting? :)

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Oh, you know I get the title right about 95% of the time… Cut me some slack. :D

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Because of the title I threw my iPhone 6 like a grenade and dove for cover. The iPhone landed on a nearby lake and now it's dead. Rafagon you owe me a phone

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Jessa Jones explains the issue, and, additionally, she reveals (at 6:15) some very disturbing facts about Apple’s practices: They have banned her from the Apple Support Communities forums three times for sharing information about the underlying causes of certain issues in iPhones.

Thank you for sharing the truth with us, Ms. Jones.

8. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Come on now, that headline reads like click-bait. Someone should edit it for accuracy, and keep this place from looking like a Facebook.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'll get to it. I have other things in my life that take precedence over fixing Rafagon's thread titles.

I wish I had the time to sit around all day and think this stuff up. :D

@up10ad Remember the days when we used to have actual discussions on this site? I'm talking about thread-long discussions. <sigh> Those were the days.

#9 Napoleon PhoneApart, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Also, I don't know which report to believe. From AppleInsider:

"Apple's solution at this time is to replace a device that has failed in such a fashion. Third party non-warranty repair shops specializing in micro-soldering can replace the touch controllers that are failing as well, but this invalidates any Apple warranty."

EDIT: After perusing a few forums, Apple is replacing the 6 models in some of these cases with a new 6. Doesn't sound too disgraceful to me.

#10 Napoleon PhoneApart, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Darn, I missed Raf's blundering headline. Oh, well! There's next time!

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Read one of his previous titles and extrapolate. :)

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

LMAO! Don’t worry. I’m sure I’ll come up with another “National Enquirer-like” thread title soon enough.

J/k….

I don’t want to piss of the Moderators too much.

Read: Napoleon Phoneapart. :) Basically the only moderator we have left.

#13 Rafagon, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That honor, in the past few weeks, goes to Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7, apparently with multiple explosions of the device while charging.

The company has halted shipments of the explosive device, but—somewhat selfishly, if you ask me—only in the Korean market.

If you own one of these devices and have been burned, please share your story with us, and photos are always welcome.

Here are some I stole from the article I provided a link to.

Galaxy-Note-7-fire.jpg

Update: Global recall expected.

#14 Rafagon, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yeah. I saw that a few days ago (the pics).