iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models affected by diminished touch response and gray flickering bars

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Jason Villmer, owner of STS Telecom, a board repair shop in Missouri, describes an issue that has begun surfacing in iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models as a “ticking time bomb,” while iFixit is calling the problem "Touch Disease.”

Affected units have a gray flickering bar at the top of the screen and a display that's unresponsive or less responsive to touch.

Apple seemingly is attempting to wash its hands of the problem, choosing not to recognize it as an issue and being quick to remind people that their devices are now out of warranty.

MacRumors has the outrageous full story on this disgraceful issue.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Let me clear up any misunderstandings due to the National Enquirer-like headline that also isn't accurately descriptive

No iPhones are exploding due to this apparent defect. Please...remember our out-of-site guests who may be Googling.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Now that I re-read that headline, I can see how it can cause confusion out of context. If you’d like, please change the thread title to:

“Apparent manufacturing defect causes issues with touch responsiveness of some iPhone 6 and 6 Plus units.” They can find out about the gray flickering bar when they read the post; that would be, I’d guess, the lesser of the two issues.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Now that I re-read that headline, I can see how it can cause confusion out of context. If you’d like, please change the thread title to:

“Apparent manufacturing defect causes issues with touch responsiveness of some iPhone 6 and 6 Plus units.” They can find out about the gray flickering bar when they read the post; that would be, I’d guess, the lesser of the two issues.
How about putting a little thought into the title before posting? :)

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Because of the title I threw my iPhone 6 like a grenade and dove for cover. The iPhone landed on a nearby lake and now it's dead. Rafagon you owe me a phone

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Jessa Jones explains the issue, and, additionally, she reveals (at 6:15) some very disturbing facts about Apple’s practices: They have banned her from the Apple Support Communities forums three times for sharing information about the underlying causes of certain issues in iPhones.

Thank you for sharing the truth with us, Ms. Jones.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Come on now, that headline reads like click-bait. Someone should edit it for accuracy, and keep this place from looking like a Facebook.
I'll get to it. I have other things in my life that take precedence over fixing Rafagon's thread titles.

I wish I had the time to sit around all day and think this stuff up. :D

@up10ad Remember the days when we used to have actual discussions on this site? I'm talking about thread-long discussions. <sigh> Those were the days.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Also, I don't know which report to believe. From AppleInsider:

"Apple's solution at this time is to replace a device that has failed in such a fashion. Third party non-warranty repair shops specializing in micro-soldering can replace the touch controllers that are failing as well, but this invalidates any Apple warranty."

EDIT: After perusing a few forums, Apple is replacing the 6 models in some of these cases with a new 6. Doesn't sound too disgraceful to me.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Darn, I missed Raf's blundering headline. Oh, well! There's next time!
LMAO! Don’t worry. I’m sure I’ll come up with another “National Enquirer-like” thread title soon enough.

J/k….

I don’t want to piss of the Moderators too much.

Read: Napoleon Phoneapart. :) Basically the only moderator we have left.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
No iPhones are exploding...
That honor, in the past few weeks, goes to Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7, apparently with multiple explosions of the device while charging.

The company has halted shipments of the explosive device, but—somewhat selfishly, if you ask me—only in the Korean market.

If you own one of these devices and have been burned, please share your story with us, and photos are always welcome.

Here are some I stole from the article I provided a link to.

Galaxy-Note-7-fire.jpg

Update: Global recall expected.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
That honor goes to the Galaxy Note 7, apparently with multiple explosions of the device while charging.

The company has halted shipments of the explosive device, but—somewhat selfishly, if you ask me—only in the Korean market.

If you own one of these devices and have been burned, please share your story with us, and photos are always welcome.

Here are some I stole from the article I provided a link to.

View attachment 44511
Yeah. I saw that a few days ago (the pics).